Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Will varicocele cause infertility?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Will varicocele cause infertility?

I have had varicocele since i was around 14, and the doctor told me what it was and it was not uncommon. He did not tell me of any risks from it so i thought all this time i was fine, but i just found out that it can make you infertile and now i am worried sick that i will never be able to have kids. Can someone please help me out?
If it affects your fertility, it does not necessarily do so permanently, so please take the "never" out of your worries about having kids.  (Please also don't try using it as birth control.)  

From what I understand, and see a urologist to check everything I'm saying, a varicocele can have the effect of warming the area in the testicle where it is, and sperm is destroyed by heat.  But if a man has a varicocele that tests prove is affecting his sperm count, a relatively simple procedure can be performed to get rid of the varicocele.

See a urologist.  Apparently this is not a big deal to treat in most cases, and you might not even need treatment if your sperm count is normal.