Fibromyalgia Community
Concerned about Lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Concerned about Lyrica

I'm confused and don't know where to begin. All I can say is that I was diagnosed with having fibromyalgia in October 2012. Started taking Lyrica at a very low dose 50mg 3x a day via my primary care physician. Within the 4 months that I've taken it, it has been increased to 400mg~200mg morning, 200mg bedtime. Began feeling "high" and wanted to get off of it. So, with the last doctor's with permission, was told that I could stop taking it. Been having crying spells a lot. Been off of it for 9 days. Was prescribed the generic brand of Neurontin 100mg Was advised by my Psychiatrist to increase dosage of Neurontin to 300mg on Friday. Still having crying spells. Was told that I was going through withdrawal symptoms from the Lyrica. Can this be possible even though I was taking Lyrica for a short period of time? Sorry if this does not make sense. Have been seen by a few doctor's, gone through many tests, the list goes on........
Hi. I have heard that lyrica can be very difficult to come off of. I don't have any experience with it myself. I am allergic to it. I do take gabapentin. The generic neurontin. It is amazing for my pain. My doctor had me on 300mg 3x a day. I got so depressed I couldn't function. Not to mention I gained 14 pounds in 2 months. I went down to 300mg 2x a day. I still was so lethargic. What good is it to not have pain if you still don't get off the couch. I have since gone to 300mg at bedtime. I take norco 10/325 during the day. The depression has lifted and my pain is manageable. Hope this helps.
In a word ... yes, going off Lyrica can give you crying spells. Would think your Dr(s) would have cautioned you about stopping suddenly.