Fibromyalgia Community
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia but no tender points

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

I went to a new neurologist yesterday to treat my migraines. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and out me on Savella.
But he didn't do the tender point check. And I actually do not have any pain in my muscles, joints, etc. and I do not feel tired. I only have migraines.
Is this normal or should I ask for a second opinion?
Hello and welcome,
That is a little strange that he didn't evaluate the rest of your body. It sounds like he was just eager to prescribe the Savella??? I think you are right to question the diagnosis if you do not have any other symptoms but migraines. If I were you I would seek out the opinion of a different Neurologist. Perhaps ask them to prescribe you a migraine medication instead of an antidepressant. Good luck to you.
-Dusty
I would get another opinion.  11 positive tender points are needed to diagnose fibro.  I agree with what dusty posted above.
Sounds like the doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with you and threw out this word. Definitly get a second opinion. I am not a doctor but I would do this even before taking the medication he/she prescribed.
Your symptoms alone are the best indicator that you most likely do not have FM. A great medication to keep migraines away is Topramax. It really helps me.  As with any medication there are side effects and intially it's hard to get use to it.  If you do get a 2nd opinion maybe that can be discussed.  
I am not a doctor so I would never advise you to not take a medication but you sound like you don't think you have fibromyalgia so have that 2nd opinion and I personally would never take a pill a anyone prescribes especially when I didn't think the doctor was correct.  
All the best.
Just an FYI - many antidepressants ARE migraine medications...there are almost no drugs that are prescribed / approved specifically as MIGRAINE (except for triptans, which are abortative meds), but many that are used off-label as migraine meds.  I know this because I fight migraines AND fibro, and have been fighting the migraines for 25+ years, and the fibro for 2-3 years at the least.  ;-)  As I said - just an FYI.