Fibromyalgia Community
Fibromyalgia - Thyroid connection ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Fibromyalgia - Thyroid connection ???

I was diagnosed with Myofacial Pain Syndrome and Fibromyalgia about 5 years ago.  Then 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Hoshimoto' Thyroiditis an auto-immune disease.  I have learnt a lot in the past few years, just tring to understand what was/is going on with my body and what can I do or not do to help.  In doing so I have found out on my own, random studies etc.  That over 39% of all Fibromyalgia suffers also have a Thyroid condition as well.

Do anyone know any information regarding this connection?
...no info to back it up, but I have Hashi's and fibro...and chiari......
but I can see where u r going and was wondering the same thing.

Godspeed
"selma"
Good Morning...

Yeah, so my husband asked my doctor, "after the TT will the Fibro go away and he said no".  However, I have heard and read that there is a connection.  I had also heard that Fibro is by some, now believed to be an auto-immune disease now too.  

What is chiari?  
yeah , I heard that as well..and then there r drs who do not recognize fibro at all.....

chiari is where the skull is misformed, or too small for the brain and part of the brain stem is forced down on the spinal column...it can cause a tumor like pocket that can restrict the flow of spinal fluid and can cause perm parallasis.....the SF blockage can also cause "blackouts"...falls, numbness and severe headaches.

"selma"
Wow, I have never heard of chiari before, it doesn't sound to good at all.,,,

Yeah, isn't it crazy?  So many people have Fibro and some doctors do not recognize it.  When I was diagnosed with Fibro, I had heard of it, but I didn't really know what it was.  When my husband and I had first read the symthoms, we both new I had it.  

I know my sister has the Thyroid disorder and Fibro too.  She is having a very hard time getting diagnosed, she has one of those doctors that doesn't recgonize Fibro and he didn't want to check her for the Hoshimoto's either.  I told her to find a new doctor, she did and is again having the same problem with the new doctor.  

I guess I just got lucky!

Yes... if you check out our Health Pages (located to the right of your screen), you can read what Dr. Holtroff has said about fibro & CFS patients having a low thyroid.

Below is an audio  information session from a Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Centre that I found very comprehensive and informative.  I had no idea Thyroid was involved, I put all the weight gain down to now being over 50 (maybe it still is..lol).

Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue: Effective Options for a Hopeful Future was presented on Thursday, April 3, 2008
View Archived Presentation
http://secure.eloqua.com/e/er.aspx?s=949&lid=1&elq=1F18BF171BCB4DFE84752A3A78012279
copy and past this link, and you can also view
and
Download Presentation Slides