Fibromyalgia pain and urine retention
I have not yet figured out why the conection is significant, but I have a feeling it is.  I have noticed for years that when I am in a situation where I need to urinate, but have to hold it for what ever reason that I go from fairly mobile and lower pain levels to extreme immobilty, stiffness and possibly increased pain fairly rapidly.  Sometimes this is relieved almost completely upon urination.  Other times it takes longer to recuperate, but there is usually at least some relief when finally able to use a washroom/bathroom and pee.  I am interested in how many other FM patients have noticed this.  If you haven't taken note of this before, please pay attention, if you are at a store or some place where you can not go as soon as you have to and see if you notice your symtoms getting worse at these times.  Thank you.

0
1. FM patients

0
2. Anyone
My guess is that it's because when you have a full bladder and are "holding it" because you can't get to a bathroom, you are tensing muscles, even if doing so unconsciously.  Tensing one set of muscles can inadvertently cause you to tense other sets of muscles so it can be a roller coaster effect.  I do notice that when I REALLY have to go and have to wait for one reason or another that my entire body gets tense (and yes, that does increase my pain levels).

I don't think it has anything to do with the actual urine though.
Thank you.  I have concidered this as well, however the effects are quite different, at least for myself to warant it only being from the mucsle tensing, however if it was from some type of toxin, then the change in stiffness after urination is also quite rapid.  Thank you for confirming that this is the situation for you though.  I have also had several bowel conditions,  I don't know if you can distinguish, but when having to hold my bowels, which requires even greater muscle tensing, the effects, espcially of the extreme stiffness and immobility are not the same.  HAve you ever noticed this as well?  I am not sure the urine is directly the cause either, but it could be somehow related to the kidney or bladder.
Thank you again for your comments