Fibromyalgia Community
Highly noticable veins??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Highly noticable veins??

Have any of you noticed that your veins are more visible? Since December the veins in my arms, hands, chest, breasts, lower abdomen, and legs are a lot more noticable. I am not too concerned, but it looks creepy and started all of the sudden. I am drinking a lot of water now, but when it started I wasn't. I am just curious if this is part of fibro or just another weird/random symptom.

Thanks!
Hi Shells, I don't know if it is a true symptom of fibro however I have the same thing. It just happened all of a sudden. I thought because I have anemia it was that. Or it was the dang predisone I'm on. Or maybe because my wieght has increased because of the predisone.Or the I might have RA as well as fibro. Anyway my veins are very visible too. I thought because I have swollen collar bone, shoulders and arms maybe it was that. Who knows.LOL.......You have to keep a sense of humor.Everyday it's something else with this dang "Fibro". I don't worry about it any more. I showed it to my rheumy and he didn't seem concerned. In addition I also see a hemotalogist(blood Dr) he didn't seem worried about it. I have to see him in 2 weeks for bone marrow something or another.
If you continue to be worried make an appointment with your dr. Take Care and Be Blessed.

LadyGeeGee
I have always had large, noticable veins...labs love me!  I don't believe it's anything related to having FMS...just part of a normal aging process.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm 23, so I don't think it has to do with aging. I have also had good veins for blood-draws, but this is different. It is like my body is suddenly becoming a roadmap. It is getting worse every day. I am not too worried, but it so gross looking that it is hard to ignore! I was just curious if it was a common fibro-connected symptom. You are right, though, you got to keep a sense of humor!
Are you doing more exercise or losing weight?  This can cause your veins to become more noticable (as the fat is burned off).  Drinking more water is always good and maybe it's doing some purifying as well.  
My veins are much more noticeable as well, all of a sudden.  I don't know what that is all about.  They usually couldn't find my veins in my arms for bloodwork.  The veins in my body are showing all over as you have said.
Yes, it is really weird. It started kind of slowly at first - it happened around when I had a colon infection, so I thought that it had something to do with that, but it didn't go away when I got better. It has been getting more and more noticeable over the past 3 months.

I have (just recently) started exercising more, and drinking more water, but I haven't lost that much weight to make a difference - I don't think.

IDK - it is just weird, and freaky. They are getting to where I can now see veins connecting from my hip all the way to the center of my breast. EW!
Did you find out what caused the veins to enlarge and be noticable.

I had blood drawn on the 21st of May and it appeared the first attempt to draw blood failed due to a faulty blood draw tube. The clear fluid in the tube appeared to enter my vein.  I felt a thud in my heart and then the veins on my hands, forearms and  calf area of my legs enlarged. The arms only drain to normal and are not visable when I raise my arms vertically. When I then lower my arms again the veins pop out again and are unsightly.   I had never had this happen before.  It is when at rest that it is worse.   I have checked about fibromyalgia that I have had for years, but never had this vein issue until the 21st of May of this year.

Just wondering what you found out concerning your vein issue.

I don't know if I understand what I have found on the internet when I read the following.... Heart muscle weakness can cause vein bulging issues according to the medical website, and I guess fibromyalgia can affect any muscle including the heart...
I too have visiable veins and have had them from my teen years.  I am 33 and they continue to show up more and more.
Shells,

Did anyone ever help you with the vein issue, or at least give any explantaion?   I have had a lot of Fibro type symptoms and the vein issues I've experienced are just as you describe.
OMG, I have had this same-described vein issue for almost a year, then was finally diagnosed a couple months ago with Fibromyalgia after months of strange symptoms that no one could explain. I have been to two vascular surgeons and several various other doctors and everyone is baffled by this. They are visible, but don't bulge like varicose veins. At first they really really hurt while they started to become visible. A lot of my mystery symptoms have subsided since becoming diagnosed with Fibromyalgia because of diet changes and Gabapentin, the drug I take for my Fibromyalgia...however, still no one can explain the visible veins and they are really upsetting to me, as I'm only 27, and have maintained a very healthy weight for years and have never been pregnant. I've tried everything that you are supposed to do to alleviate varicose and spider veins and it just makes them worse, especially wearing compression stockings. Seems to be the opposite problem as varicose veins, and I've even had doctors tell me that, but they have no idea what could be causing it. My guess is that it is part of Fibromyalgia since all my symptoms started at the same time and coincided with each other. The pain part of the vein issue is right in line with normal Fibro symptoms as well, so I think it must be some sort of undocumented symptom. I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this thread, makes me feel a little better than I'm not just some medical freak! Hang in there and wear nylons with skirts/dresses, Princess Kate is making that fashionable again, thank goodness!  ;-)
I have the same complaint.  I've had FMS for over 15 yrs and didn't notice it until about 5 or less yrs ago.  My upper arms have big blue veins that are really noticeable.  I was told it's part of ageing (aging).  I don't see this on everyone!  Would love to make it go away.  I don't like showing my upper arms due to it.
Im only 18 and ive noticed that my vein are very visable. And was wondering if its anything for me to worry about, they have never been so visable before i noticed them a couple days ago. And i dont  know y they r so visable. Help!
I have had visible veins for almost as long as i can remember.  i have said for years that i have "old lady hands".  I have dry skin, which only adds to the effect.  i highly doubt it is anything to worry about.  I lift my hands up and the veins get smaller--i hold them down and they get bigger---seems like gravity might have something to do with it.  I'm sure that the normal fluctuations in blood pressure have something to do with it to---they probably stand out more when you are nervous---as that would raise your blood p[ressure.  some of us just weren't meant to be hand models!!
I just turned 26 , but you sound just like me! My veins hurt too when they decided to make they're appearance around the time I was 19/20 and that's what freaked me out most! Supposedly, I'm generally pretty healthy, but the vein thing has been bugging me for years. I look like a freak with my super visible veins everywhere! I never thought of Fibro being a tie to this, but it's something my mom has, so now I'm starting to wonder...
Hi Shells, yes I have the same problem. I am 33 now but my Fibromyalgia and visible veins began around age 20. I feel like my skin is translucent as you can see my veins mapped all over my body. They are flat, dark & are very noticeble on my chest, breasts, arms etc. Some days the veins look darker than others. I also get blue black veins appearing more visible that aren't usually there, when this happens it always freaks me out because the palms of my hands and fingers look almost black with every single little vein so vivid to the surface. Although I also have raynaud's in my hands which may worsen things. As much as you get used to all the strange things Fibromyalgia throws your way, my advice is still get EVERY new symptom checked out or at least reported to your Dr. We can't always assume & put everything down to Fibromyalgia, we have the same risk as "normal" people to get illness. Better to be safe than sorry I say. Its always comforting & reassuring to speak to fellow Fibro sufferers & realise you're not alone ;) x
Hi! I am a fit 35 year old women who was diagnosed with Fibromayalgia when I was 17. A month ago after work I came home and had a hot Epsom salt bath like I usually do and bam! The veins from knees down looked like the hulk. They did not hurt at the time so I put them up, put on my compression sock for running and tried to go to sleep. They kept me up all night with twitching and electrical shocks so I went to the ER the next day. They looked for a clot, there was none so they sent me home. Since then I have had a full ultra sound of my lower legs and a CT scan looking for some sort of blockage. Nothing, although the ultra sound did show a slow return of the vessels. Now it is affecting my arms and can get quite painful, a full on pressure building feeling in the ankles, medial knee, inguinal area and axillary  area of the left arm but still no cause can be found. Is this what your experience was like? And did it go away?!?!? I don't want to have varicose veins at 35!!! They are fitting me for compression stalkings. Anyone have and more permeant treatments with good results?!
just curious but how many of the people posting here with these symptoms have been really skinny all their life?  Are the parts of your body that have pain in them (fibromyalgia) the skinniest parts where there seems to be only little fat and muscle?  Do you find it difficult to develop larger muscles or fat in the areas you have fibromyalgia in?

I have these symptoms as well, I'm 26 y/o male, I just wanted to see if there's any similarities in us that would help lock down the source of the problem.
Hi.  This is exactly what I have been experiencing!
I am 44 and still look very fit... However, I am unable to work out these days.  Even 20 mins fast interval walking on the treadmill ruins the rest of my day.
I have had the crazy veins, and the unbelievable feeling of pressure in my arms.  It seems this phenomena comes and goes.  
I have to suppose it is a symptom of the Fibro, I can't make any other sense of it.
MelRaeJ