Fibromyalgia Community
Is there a connection between Fibromyalgia and weight?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Do people with Fibro diagnoses fall into any particular catagory of weight?  That is to say is there a wide range of types such as lower than normal weight, normal weight, and higher than normal weight?  I know that weight loss, when there is extra weight, can help to aleviate some types of body pains and I was just wondering if there is any connection with Fibro and type of pain.  I hope I made that clear :)    I am assuming that Fibro happens across the full spectrum of body types and sizes, but found myself wondering if there is any connection, after reading one post which mentioned something in this respect.
  After having my right knee replaced and was in and out of the hospital I gained almost 50 pounds in 2007. From the time I was diagnosed almost a year ago I've lost 48 pounds. Even tho at times I can barely move I have not gained an ounce. I can't tell any
difference in my pain levels after losing the weight. It's still the same.

gentle hugs
Angel
And in the reverse of kiddthekatt, I was just recovering from Celiac and was losing weight steadily (I'm the uncommon variant who actually put on weight due to Celiac).  When the CFS hit, my energy levels bottommed out...and then some...and I started to gain weight again.  There has been no noticeable change in my symptoms as a result of the weight gain, though in my case, there's only mild jitteriness and occasional myalgia to deal with, not pain per se like there is in FMS.
I've also not noticed any decrease in symptoms with weight loss.  I think most gain weight with FMS/CFS due to not being able to be as active as they previously were.  This applies in my particular case.  FMS/CFS doesn't seem to discriminate, hitting the obese as well as slender...young and old.  
I was terrified that I would put on a lot more than 50 pounds but when I am in a flare, food makes me so sick. I drink gallons of water and I do have hot tea to settle my tummy. I am only 5 feet tall and 50 pounds had me looking like a round barrel. I'm back down to a size 7 where I've been for years. But I still hurt like I did when I was 50 pounds heavier.

gh
Angel
That is about my height...just over 5 ft.  I should drink more water than I do...my passion is coffee.  I had actually gotten back down to an 8, until I had a fall.  Now that I can't exercise it's back up again.  I know what you mean...with a small frame such as ours...a few extra pounds can really be noticable.  

Hey...how is your finger today?  Did you go back to the doc?
  Believe it or not, my thumb is feeling better just like he said it would. I was going to go on in, but called and told them I thought that it was going to survive.
WOOHOOO!!! That's what I love to hear.  I'm so glad (and i'm sure they were elated to hear you would survive, lol).  You take care and i'm happy for you :-)
wow!! How did you manage to lose 50lbs, I can't even manage 7, I'm tall compared to you 5'3" but still, look more square than round. you should be very proud of yourself:)Even if it doesn't help with pain,it must be good for the rest of your body, Well done, I shall look to you for inspiration, in trying to lose my tree stone!!
I came down with this as a smaller person.  I agree with VaBreeze.  I think people gain weight because of limited mobility.  I might be 5 pounds heavier than I was but the only reason I haven't gained  a  lot is because I am very careful about my diet and I still exercise regularly even though it hurts.

I have a relative who is significantly overweight.  She has stiff hips, sore feet and things like that related to weight.  However, she does not have any of the problems I have and has no tenderpoints or anything like that.

It took me by surprise at first, I felt so bad that I didn't notice that I was losing the weight. I love fresh veggies, and could live on salads. I cook every night regardless of how bad I feel. We don't eat red meat, or try not to, we do eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I try to balance our meals so that we get the most out of them.

My one cheat food is apple pie. I buy those single apple pies and I have one every day. I cut sugar completely out of our diet, but I do get sugar on the pie. I don't exercise every day, but I try to at least 3 days a week, and I play loads of wii bowling...:) Good luck.

gh
Angel

I think the weight gain is not only limited mobility, but also a low functioning thyroid as well. According to Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum... once you treat the illness, the weight comes off.

There are some tricks you can do to help maintain your weight. And remember Professor Nicolson's recent research on Effects of a Dietary Weight Loss Supplement on Fatigue, Appetite Suppression and Weight Loss: Implications for CFS patients. If I remember fight, Dr. Nicolson will be presenting the results of this recent study at the International CFS Conference in Reno, NV. (March):

http://www.immed.org/whatsnew/whats%20new%2011.23.08updates/NicolsonIACFSabstract3.rtf
Is there ANY WAY to get past the tiredness you get with Fibro. It keeps me from doing so much.  I want to do so much and my head tells me I can, but the body says nope.  I feel like at times I'm really crashing.  I have to stop what I'm doing until I can rebut.  Any suggestions.  I found out I had this about a year ago.  Now, it seems to be controling my life.
junglejim46
  You know, the first 6 months after I was DXed with Fibro I also thought that I was crashing. Like everyone else I didn't know how to pace myself, and on good days I really over did it. I still over do it on good days but not as bad. The one thing that takes me out and throws me into a flare( like right now) is the cold. I felt it coming on yesterday and this morning I can barely move.

Are you taking Vitamins along with your meds? I take Vitamins B(all of them I think) magnesium, Vit D and E, folic acid, calcium, iron. I can tell when I try to skip some of the supplements, I feel horrible. I'm sure that some of the other members will pop in later and maybe they can give you some other things that help.

gentle hugs
Angel