FIBROMYALGIA
COMMUNITY
Joint/Muslce pain (possibly HIV related)?
by ainxtein, Feb 22, 2007
I am not native English speaker, so my description my be a little awkward (I can explain further if needed).

I had unsafe sex 4 weeks ago and the first minute after it I began to panic. Little sleep in the following week, and then I started to experience pain in my muscles and joints. The panic resulted from strong feeling of guilty, and a strong fear of HIV infection.

At first it is only some minor feelings like needles in my knees/toes, and later it developed into muscle/joint pain all over my body (it is not unbearable but it is clear) after three weeks of anxiety. Sometimes it is like that there is an aching line from my finger to elbow. Sometimes it feels like someone is using a drill or something on the bones of my finger/shin/lower arm. There is no simultaneous pain in two different places though. Sometimes my upper arms have pulsing pain.

And every time it last about 3-5 minutes, and disappear completely (by pressing the area afterwards there is no further pain, so I guess it is not muscle injury). It seems that these pain occur in muscles/bones/joints.

This is weird. Is it fibromyalgia? Does anyone have experience on similar situation? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

P.s. I suspect it is HIV related, but assessment of my risk is low. So I guess it may be more a result of anxiety/depression...
Member Comments (18)
by patsy10, Feb 23, 2007
I don't think an HIV infection would show up this fast.  Infection with HIV is usually followed by a flu-like illness then the bad symptoms start later on.
by PlateletGal, Feb 23, 2007

Many people do not experience symptoms when they first are exposed to HIV. Those who do, get "Acute HIV Syndrome" and usually have a fever, headache, fatigue, nausea and/or enlarged lymph nodes. From my understnading, these symptoms would occur three to six weeks after exposure and would go away within a week to a month.

You mentioned depression and depression can cause muscle pain. A suggestion... I would consider working on your anxiety/depression and see if your symptoms improve. Since you have anxiety about HIV, then get tested and make sure you are tested again at least 6 months after that sexual encounter occurred.

by ainxtein, Feb 23, 2007
I had fever (up to 37.5C, lasting several hours) several times, and got nightsweat in the part two weeks, sometimes heavy. - bad signs? Is it more HIV related or more anxiety related?
by patsy10, Feb 23, 2007
I would get tested so you know for sure.  I don't know if you are a man or a woman but a person is more likely to get it from heterosexual sex if you are a woman.  Also, there are other STD's that can cause infectious symptoms, such as hepatitis C.
by ainxtein, Feb 23, 2007
Yes. I just want to understand my pain. I don't know whether it really related to HIV. I just want to know whether other thing can cause these pain symptom.
by patsy10, Feb 23, 2007
Also, if you didn't see it already, there is a board for HIV and safe sex.  You might get more info. there.
by PlateletGal, Feb 24, 2007

I don't believe you would have symptoms this long if you have HIV Syndrome and it sounds like you are NOT at high risk for contracting the HIV virus. I've seen many people on the HIV boards worrying because they were ill after unprotected or even sex where they used protection. I haven't seen one of these members' who came back and said they tested positive for the HIV. Most of these people ended up having a virus or another health condition.

Since you've been ill for one month, you should follow-up with your physcian. Talk to him/her about your concerns and your anxiety/depression.

by orphanannie59, Mar 02, 2007
What you are describing could be phantom pains.  I have had fibro since 2000, and have it under control....until I am severely stressed mentally or physically.  Just yesterday I was having horrible pains in my right forearm wile driving.  It feels like bone pain, and hurts very badly, enough to make me sick to my stomach. It stopped for a while during the day and I ended up getting a stomach virus later on, so I think that is what caused it.  I believe my fibro was brought on from losing my mother to cancer and taking care of her.  I also have RLS and have for years which equals no quality sleep.  Even if you do not have fibro, I firmly believe high levels of stress and depression can cause you to have fibro symptoms including the phantom pains.  Try getting some counseling for your anxiety and learn some copying methods, and I bet your pain will ease up on you.  Good luck!!
by 20071978, Jan 17, 2008
Dear the symptoms for HIV starts up with flu like i.e. cough, fever, headache, runny nose, diarrhoea etc. But to make for sure and confirmatory answer do get tested for HIV by ELISA/Western blot.
This sounds to be more practical and will help you in relieving your anxiety.
GOOD LUCK