Fibromyalgia Community
Shoulder Pain - Fibro pain or ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

Shoulder Pain - Fibro pain or ???

Hello all,
I have had shoulder pain and upper arm pain for over 2 months. It had not come and gone, it is unrelenting. I cannot lift my arms up w/o immense pain. I thought it was pain from my fibro and/or stress related pain, but is has not gone away. I am new to this so am wondering, is this fibro pain or something else? I did go ahead and make an appt with my doctor for next week but wanted to post too as you all have so much knowledge. Thank you!
Colleen
Is the pain on the same side as the arm you use the most?  I'm right-handed, and acquired a repetitive strain injury in my right shoulder.  It is brutally uncomfortable!

Normally, (what ever THAT is!) people would only get this kind of injury from major activity, like sports or weight lifting, etc.  But in myself, and I'd wager in others with chronic conditions, the muscles were more susceptible to injury.  So I got a bad strain injury from doing just ordinary daily stuff, like using a computer mouse and writing by hand.

It took me a long time to recognize that the shoulder injury was separate from my Lyme disease, as Lyme can cause lots of persistent symptoms and pains.  But most of my Lyme issues are somewhat transient, while this shoulder pain is always bad and made worse through use.

So, while I'm talking a lot about myself, I agree with your idea to see the doctor to evaluate it.  I think you should trust your instinct that this symptom is outside of your fibro.

I've had some really good luck with an integrative chiropractor.  Sadly, I moved and can't go to him anymore, and instead I'm currently working with an osteopath.  If your general physician isn't of much help, you may want to look into such alternatives, though I understand that any physical therapy may be daunting given the fibro.

Good luck, and I hope the shoulder feels better soon.
sorry to hear about thie severe pain - !
what's weird is: i also developed right shoulder pain and problems, a couple years ago - comes and goes - gone at the moment - never had shoulder problems before, and sure havent injured it in anyway from overactivity!
mysterious, mate, and i've read from others that they had shoulder problem and hip problem - might've been in the thyroid forum.
i noticed it was bad when my thyroid was bad [low]. but no real pattern...
???
mine is shoulder joint area. i.e. deltoid area, not trapezoid area
the pain is around the muscles around the joint
ours might be different type of problem cause yours is both arms and unrelenting. sorry, friend! i know it's incapacitating x x
Thank you both for answering!!! I am glad to know that I am not alone, although I don't wish this on anyone. I did read on my fibro newsletter just yesterday that fibro pain can be similar to bursitis and tendonitis, which I am thinking it might be, so that really left me confused. I am just going to go to the doctor and see what she says. I love her so it will be a good visit. I will update but that isn't until next Thursday (not tomorrow) so awhile. and wonko, it is on the left side the worst, a little on my right but the left is unbelievable and I am right handed. Although, as you both probably know, you use your shoulders way more than you thought you did. I hope you are both pain free right now!
Hugs,
colleen
I have had a left shoulder or upper back pain. I am right handed. I went to the doc and was sent to PT for it. This helped a LOT. I am now much better having had some traction, and learned exercises to do at home. Now am going for vertigo. I am on medicare, so am only allowed one ailment at a time!
MaryStar, thank you for responding. I am glad that PT helped. I see my doctor next week so will see what she says. What do they do for vertigo???
For vertigo, there are several exercises to do for the dizziness. The first session was way too much for me. I got a very strong reaction of spinning and was nauseous for the whole day after, even with taking antivert. You lie down to the right, then to the left from a sitting position is one. I then was only able to roll from side to side. Others are looking up and down, etc. The idea is to get the brain used to the dizziness, and also to break up the crystals that form in the inner ear. I hope it works! Yesterday the therapist was much gentler with me, and she also did some traction for my shoulder. My doc said at my physical that some PT from time to time would be good for my fibro pain. I agree. They also use some ultra sound.
MaryStar,
I am glad that you are getting some relief from your vertigo and hope that the sessions will continue and maybe you won't have it again. I agree with you, PT from time to time probably is good. I will update after my visit with the doctor on Thursday to let you know if this was fibro or an injury. (If I can remember, brain fog!)
Hope today is a good day for you!
Colleen