Fibromyalgia Community
could i have fibromyalgia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

could i have fibromyalgia

Hello. I am 27 years old and since I was 16 I have been in chronic pain. Since I have health problems with my stomach, heart, back and migraines every time a new pain would come up, doctors would always chalk it up to one of my existing conditions. Now that I have been researching I think it's possible that I have fibromyalgia. I have pain all the time in all different spots. I feel like I'm 90. I have horrible stomach and digestion problems. Once I eat anything at all I am completely bloated for the rest of the day and it's soo uncomfortable! I have frequent migraines. I never get deep sleep, I wake up constantly and I am SO tired. I feel very stressed and irritable. I have such bad periods, sometimes I have to go to the ER and have injections of pain meds. I have super dry skin unless I use an obnoxious amount of creams. I find myself having shortness of breath at times and pain in my chest often but always a pulled muscle sort of pain. Every time I even have a cold I get costochondritis (inflammation of the lining between your lungs and ribs) I am never well feeling or comfortable. I could go on but I'm thinking you all get the idea by now. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
Since this has been going on for so long and evidently your doctors have not mentioned Fibromyalgia to you, I would talk with my doctor about this.  Just from what you've said it is possible that you have fibro, but sounds like you have other health issues going on.  As you've probably already read in your research of fibro, they are still researching the cause(s) of fibro and there is not yet any one med they can give for it.  What works for some does not work for others.  Please talk with your doctor and I hope you have one who truly is understanding about your pain and will work with you to find something that helps.  My heart goes out to you; pain is no fun!
Joyce
Have you been tested for lyme disease?
Thank you for answering me. I am going to make an appointment with my primary care doctor, and then I'm told from there I will get a referral to a rheumatologist to look into fibromyalgia. We'll see what happens, any answer at this point would be great, no matter what it is. Just to know. Thanks again!
When I was 18 I got tested for Lyme disease and was told I had a mild form of it called bartonella. (not sure if I spelled that right) apparently thats when you get bitten by a tick that already bit a cat! (I know super weird!) But that doctor told me it wouldn't cause me any severe problems. Do you think it's possible he was wrong and that is the problem?
If they did not treat the bacterial infection, yes it can be causing problems.  Even if they gave you antibiotics, if it did not eradicate the bacteria it would remain in your body.  Lyme is not easily treated unless it is caught in the early stages.  Patsy10 has some good information about this in the Lyme Forum and she is knowledgable about this disease.

Research has shown that these illnesses are likely caused by bacterial/viral infections.  The rheumatologist should run tests to rule out any other medical problem that might be causing like symptoms, prior to dx'ing you with FMS.  I would definitely have him retest you for Lyme Disease.  Also, if you look into our Health Pages at some of the articles regarding Dr. Garth Nicolson, you can learn more about what his research has shown.

Hope all goes well at your appt. and please keep in touch.  
Bartonella is a common co-infection in lyme disease.  The tick passes lyme disease in addition to Bartonella.  You can also get it from a cat scratch. Were you treated for this?
Thanks for the tips! I am definitely going to bring all of this up at my appointment. And I will definitely check out the lyme forum. thanks so much!
Hi. I was given antibiotics at the time but it's truly been so long I don't remember what the meds were. I am going to tell the rheumatologist about this and take it from there. Thank you very much for your time and advice!
You're most welcome.  I wish you the best of luck and keep in touch.