Fibromyalgia Community
fibro/cymbalta and lyrica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fibromyalgia and related pain management.

fibro/cymbalta and lyrica

I was told i had fibro about 7 years ago, i was treated with pain meds.have not taken in a few years  i have went to a new dr today that has put me on cymbalta and lyrica can some one please help me i am so scared of these meds. i have read the side affects, i do not think i am depressed and dont understand why this med would be used.
thank you
alot of doctor are prescribing anti depressant to treat fibro, don't know why but have take cymbalta, didnt help me, lyrica did but suffered from the side effects of swollen hands and feet and excessive weight gain. You can get addicted to lyrica, it is a controlled substance. but if they work for you and take away the pain and you know you are gonna have to take them the rest of your life, who care. take care and pm me and let me know how you are doing on them

I think any prescription drug is considered a 'controlled substance'.  I have used Lyrica for over a year and had no probs. at all discontinuing it last month.  This may be different for each individual though.  As with any medication taken for a period of time, weaning off is the best approach.

If you presented to your physician with pain and you have fibro, then Lyrica would typically be prescribed.  Did your doctor seem to believe you may be depressed?  Maybe he/she sensed this and thought the Cymbalta would help, although Cymbalta has been used to treat fibro as well.  I'm not sure why you would be prescribed both of these medications if your only complaint was of pain, but it is something you should speak with your physician about to clear up any misunderstandings or concerns you may have.

I hope you can get an answer and that they find something that will be of help to you.  Take care.
I was taking Lyrica which was increased to the highest dose because it was not working for my fibromyalgia.  I had many of the side effects with the high dosage of lyrica including blurry vision so I weaned myself off of it and had about a months worth left if taken once a day.  I have recently been prescribed the Cymbalta because I do have depression from being in pain all the time and not being able to do the things that I am used to doing.  I had some lyrica left before being prescribed the cymbalta and noticed that by taking only one cymbalta in the morning and one of the left over lyrica at night with the AmbienCr I have been feeling a whole lot better.  If the weather is bad then I take Vicodin for pain as needed.  So maybe it just may work for you and in that sense.

Good Luck and God Bless
You might want to do a little research on that Cymbalta. Nightmare if you ever try and get offhttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/Fibromyalgia/fibro-cymbalta-and-lyrica/show/722978#