Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Bunion Correction/Prevention

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Bunion Correction/Prevention
I am a 30 year old male.  My left toe has been turning inward more with the years.  I'm pretty sure it is genetic since my father, 52 years old, has the same problem.  I want to do everything I can to prevent my bunion from getting worse and preventing pain in later years.  What non-surgical things can I do to prevent painful bunions or even correct the bunion?  

I bought some foot insoles to correct my pronation.  I've tried gel toe seperators, but they don't seem to do much.  I've also tried the Profoot Goodnight Bunion which stretches the big toe out when going to sleep (but I wake up at night because it hurts after a few hours).  I've heard there is also a way to bandage the toe for daytime walking.

Could you please advice on these techniques and any other techniques you recommend?

Thank you.
wearing supportive shoes and orthotic inserts can help.  short of that, there is nothing that can be done to stop the bunion.  surgical correction can only do that.
Is there no good answer to this?
You have not mentioned it, so I do not know if you are doing this as well. Make sure your shoes are wide enough and give good support.

good luck,
achilles2