Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Pins and Needles in Feet

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

Pins and Needles in Feet

Hi, I'm 17 years old, I'm active in vigorous sports and exercise. Since about early April, I have been feeling a pins and needles, or "tingling" sensation in both of my feet. The throbbing I feel is mostly in my heels, but I still feel it across the bottom of my feet, in my ankle, a little bit up my leg, and I feel tightness around my ankle and lower leg.

I think I started feeling it becuase of my school shoes. There was a place in the heal were the gel pad wore out, and my heels would but pressed against them for hours everyday, and eventually they started to hurt and throb.

If anyone can help me out, I'd be glad to answer more questions and work together to figure it out.

I appreciate it.
you have plantar calcaneal nerve entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve, which was aggrevated by the shoes.
get a new pair of shoes.  ibuprofen 800 mg in the AM and pM with food for 1 week should help reduce the pain.  don't take it if you are allergic, have gastric problems, or taking other nsaids.
it will take several weeks for the pain to diminish.  daily massage can help.
if all else fails, surgical decompression of the nerve helps too.
I got a couple of new pairs of shoes, for different things. You said it will take several weeks for the pain to diminish, what will be the cause of that, what is actually treating the problem, because the pain medication will only take away the pain?

I massage my feet every now and then, maybe I should do more. I would really like to keep the idea of surgery as far as possible, only if its really necessary. Should I still continue playing sports as much as I normally do?

Thanks.

when the nerve is irritated, it takes a while for it to repair itself.  removing the strain/pressure placed on the nerve will allow the nerve to start "healing".  the ibuprofen allows the surrounding tissue to stop swelling. this will allow the nerve to heal b/c there is less tissue pressure on it.  i would tone down on sports that require high impact on the feet.
Okay, I understand. I have a nerve test scheduled in a couple of weeks anyway, so maybe I can learn more from that.

Most of the sports I play, and most sports in general, require that high impact on the feet. I really enjoy it, and especially now, because its the summertime, I do it often, so this is going to be difficult. About how long, if I am careful about the pressure I put on my feet, do you think it will take for the nerve(s) to repair itself?
A related discussion, pins and needles was started.