Foot Care (Podiatry) Expert Forum
Stinging pain in arch ligament, help please.

Questions in the Foot Care (Podiatry) forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include: Athlete's feet, Bunions, Flat feet, Foreign body, Fractures/foot pain,Fungal infections, Hammertoes, Instability, Morton's Neuroma, Nail fungus, Pediatric curly toes, Pediatric in-toe gait (pigeon toe), Plantar fasciitis/heel pain, Sesamoiditis, Shin splints, Warts.

I developed fat pad atrophy a year ago and wore birkenstock sandles during that time which did me little favors. I would do calf stretches on steps with them which may have hurt my arches, (maybe). During all that time I shifted my weight mostly onto the ball of my foot rather than even on the heel because it hurt too much and inflamed the problem.
A few days ago I was away from home and walking in these sandles, I had just done some calf stretches on a step and when I began to walk I felt a sharp stinging pain, almost like a tearing or pulling on the pronounced ligament in my arch. The pain wasn't near my heel, rather it was on the upper half of the ligament closer too the big toe.

[img]http://img215.imageshack.us/i/hwkb17034.jpg/[/img]

From then on I my mind was fixated on every step I took because I was terrified it was going to happen again and begin another foot problem which I desperately didn't need. An hour after that happened I got some actual shoes at the foot locker and doubled up on cushions and an arch support. This provided relief for my heels but several days later I continue to feel hints of the tearing pain and often throbbing in the area. I've iced it continuously, up to 3 times a day and I see no relief. If I were to grab the toes and pull them backwards to do a plantar stretch I could recreate the pain except it would be more of a pulling pain.

When I look this up online, absolutely everything starts talking about plantar fasciitis and how I should do some plantar and calf stretches. The problem is that I've been to a podiatrist and a chiropractor who both found no evidence of plantar fasciitis, nor does any of my symptoms match it. Frankly, its not healing with ice and rest and I'm almost completely unable to walk at all. I am wearing arch supports and lots of cushion right now and afraid that once I notice progress, I'll take a step and it will sting and I'll be right back where I am now.
I just wanted to expand on this. It appears the area I'm talking about is the flexor hallucis longus tendon...If that tendon is the one you can see in your arch when lifting your big toe. I am getting this kind of stinging mid way on the tendon in my arch and I'm feeling it starting in my right foot. Seriously, I'm broken down and in absolute suffering. I'm home bound with IBS, I have fat pad atrophy and pain with weight on my heels, I have a tearing and popping in my right foot toes when I step, mid to low back pain and now my arch tendons are stinging and I am unable to properly push off without feeling like I'm tearing them.
I get these symptoms occasionally as well, and would like to know more about it. My pain however, occurs in the middle of the arch and is more of an annoyance and discomfort than outright painful.
A related discussion, Burning and Stinging bottom of foot was started.