GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
8 year old has Abdominal pain, Nausea, Headache & Eye pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

My 8 year old son has been suffering from severe abdominal pain, headaches, eye pressure, and even back pain just about every night.  He just went through a endoscopy, colonoscopy, xray, and sonogram.  For the most part, the endoscopy and the colonoscopy went  very well and the GI Dr. had no real concerns only that due to my son suffering from GERDs, she saw in the xray that the bile is backing up into the stomach.  This was the same thing she told me 3 years ago and prescribed Prevacid and now prescribed Nexium.  There were bad news, however, when the Dr. got the results from the sonogram.  She found a lesion on my son's pancreas and the liver is enlarged.  Lab results also show the liver enzymes slightly higher.  A CT Scan is pending (in 2 weeks!).

My son is currently taking Prevacid but this does not help his pain.  The pain gets really bad at night time.  I have to give my son Levsin to help him with his stomach pain and Tylenol for his headache but he says it does not help.  I have had to apply a cold wet towel on his eyes to help with the pain in his eyes.  I am very worried about my son.  I did not get any explanation about what causes all his pain.  I was only told to put him on a low-fat diet and that should take care of the problem.  He is a little over weight but he is not a big eater.  I have been keeping him away from McDonalds and all other fast food restaurants for some time now.  

If you have any idea what else he may be suffering from, please let me know.

Thank you.

MOM
I am not a doctor so can only give my two cents as a parent, like you.  The low fat will help any billiary type of problem.   The only other thing, if ok with your doc, that I can suggest when the headache is that bad is to add Sudafed to the mix.  This would help my daughter who ended up having her gallbladder removed and all her symptoms after yrs of suffering are gone except for very mild here or there reflux.  My dd had a dysfunctional gallbladder from birth .. she is now 17 and happy to be rid of it.

Please keep in touch, WELCOME to the community and let us know how he is doing.

Cheryl
Hi! I'm sorry you are going through this.  It's very stressful. Especially when you aren't getting the answer you want.  You said that they prescribed Nexium but that he is taking Prevacid. Have you switched to the Nexium yet? My son was also on Prevacid and when they did his scope, they found ulcers, esophagitis, etc. and that was ON the Prevacid. Once we switched to Nexium, we waited about 4 months and did the scope again and everything had cleared up.  If you haven't switched, try switching and see if that in itself provides any relief as Nexium seemed to work much better for us than the Prevacid.  My little guy can't talk so I don't know what he was feeling in terms of pain but he would cough and cry all night long.  He's 3 now and this was from about 12  months to 2.5 years that he did this.  Keep us posted!
my daughter was on prevacid for GERD...it caused her to vomit, and she was very fussy on it.  Her doctor told me that side effects are vomitting, nausea, and headaches.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  Welcome to the community here.  It helps to talk about things.  It must be hard to see your son suffering so much.  
I recall having taken Prevacid for anti-inflammatory issues and I was very nauseous too ... it was awful ... that is interesting to note that they all work differently and its worth a try to try one by one until one is found to work.

Some have lactose fillrers in them .. even different types of Prevacid have different fillers.

C~
Sorry to hear about your son. My son was born with reflux and was put on Prepulsid which was recalled 3 months later due to deaths. Encouraging huh? anyway, he is now 8 and has been complaining nightly for over a month of stomach pains at night. I am stumped. However, I am opting to take him to a Naturalpathy to take a non-invasive test called a Bio-meridian Stress Test. Most insurances do not cover this expensive test, but it is able to diagnose multiple body systems and problems within minutes. I went through many 'modern' tests myself with no results and doctors wanting to give me meds with lots of side effects. Then I had this test done and have been using natural supplements and many of my syptoms (symptoms) are gone or diminishing. Check it out. Never hurts. This is what I am trying for my son. Lord willing it will be what he needs for his body too.
I have heard of excellent results with what you are doing .... from other mom's with refluxers.  Keep us posted!

C~