Anyone else have Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)?
Acid reflux and the symptoms you get from it are crazy. I thought I had so many other things...heart problems, lung problems, sinus problems, allergies... u name it. At first it started out with a pressure feeling in my upper abdomen/chest area. I just thought maybe it was indigestion. Then later on I started getting a coldness feeling in my chest almost like I ate a bunch of peppermints. Well these symptoms weren't going away. Then I started having a tickle deep in my throat like I had to cough, but nothing came up. Now with the constant productive phlegm in my throat, hoarseness, breathing problems, post nasal drip, bad taste in my mouth, fullness feeling in my ears, difficulty swallowing and food getting stuck in my throat....I have been diagnosed with LPR. I have started taking Zantac 150mg that i'm supposed to take for 30 days. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this and how long does it take for these symptoms subside?
Hello, you are not allone.  I had rather severe acid reflux induced laryngitis over a year ago.  It took about 6 months for me to recover, with slight difficulties continuing but still improving.

How long it takes to recover will depend on several factors.
One, how bad was the reflux and damage it did.

Two, how agressive you are with life style changes.  These go a long way in reducing reflux if you can stick to them.  Let me know if you want more info, but I am sure that the doctor talked to you about most of them.

Three, how effective the Zantac is for you.  It didn't do much for me alone.  There are three main types of reflux meds.  First are the H2 blockers like Zantac and Pepcid, really a rather mild affect by my oppinion.  Second are the proton pump inhibitors - the big guns.  The newest and supposed best at the moment is Dexilant., but Nexium is another good one.  Calcium and magnesium are the last two.  They work well for bringing break through reflux under control.  

Some people will have problems too big for all of these and will be put on motility meds - things to stimulate the esophagust to contract and force acid back down.  There is also another type of med that forces food through the digestive track faster.

I can't really say how long it will take for the symptoms to subside,  However, I can say that it will depend on when the reflux is truly controlled.  Healing cannot start while the reflux continues.

Feel better and keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply! Sorry it's been awhile since I rePlied. The Zantac worked for a little bit but all these months later and I'm still having problems. I have to take zyrtec and flonase to help control the pnd and my breathing problems are getting worse. I got an inhaler which helps a little but sometimes it doesn't work. When I try n take a deep breath I can feel the tightness in my throat it's almost like a choking sensation with the need to cough. I notice when I wake in the mornings my symptoms are usually at there worst. One thing I took prevacid n it really didn't do anything so I waited a few months avoiding all the trigger foods then still no help I tried prilosec well I noticed after the prilosec I got a heavy feeling in my lower abdomin so I went n had a ct of my abdomen and they didnt find anything. Now I've been getting bloated n every morning I still wake up that way n I notice a change in my stools like they aren't fully digested n sometimes I'll get nausea after I eat and also plain water I can feel come back up into my throat n that never happened before. So my Question is could it be possible that this is low acidity instead? I know the symptoms are relatively the same.
Hello again,
There can be several causes.  You could have bile reflux instead of acid reflux.  The test for this is an impedence study.  A nurse will put a unit down your esophagus that has two probes in it.  One for acid and one that basically just checks for the pressence of stuff that shouldn't be there.  If something is there and the Ph is non-acidic, it is bile.  I have significant level of both acidic and bile reflux.

You do need to talk to your doctor about this and see if you can have the test done.  It isn't that bad.  Also, you should discus taking probiotics and digestive enzymes.  Both will help your digetion.  I know of a compounding pharmacist here that also promotes the treatment of acid reflux with acid pills.  I haven't checked into a lot, but I have talked with him some about it and it was cost prohibitive for me.

I hope that helps you some.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.
S~
ok, thank you very much. This could be exactly what it is, because I rarely having a burning sensation, but seem to always have stuff coming up. I'm getting ready to move so I will have to get set up with a new dr. The dr I was seeing here just thought it was allergies. And I couldn't get to the ENT till the end of Jul. I defiantly want to get a scope or something done to see whats going on. I noticed all this started happening when I was holding my son at the store and he was putting a lot of pressure on my diaphragm and all of a sudden it hurt really bad in my diaphragm area. I didn't think anything of it and the pain went away so I ignored it and then all these problems started happening. So maybe a possibility of a hiatal hernia? I've been taking probiotics and digestive enzymes it seems to help a little but i'm still getting really bloated and my stomach makes weird loud gurgling sounds in the morning before I even eat anything. I was on a bunch of antibiotics though, because I kept getting sinus infections and I told my dr that I was having problems with food getting stuck in my throat and he thought it was infected so again another round of antibiotics. So I think I may need to take a lot of probiotics to get my stomach back to normal. Do you recommend any? I was just taking the acidophilus twice a day and eating yogurt once a day, but I think I might need something more. Its nice to know someone has the same problem and can help. Thank you.
Hi iam 22 years old got reflux laryinights iam a singer but unable to sing and speak from 4 months  please let me know did your voice came back???please help me

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

Since this is an older thread the members that have posted on it may no longer be active, so create a new thread or post on a current thread to get more feed back.