Can GERD cause heart plapitations?
Hello! I hope SOMEONE out there can help me. I am not sure if I have GERD or not since I don't have much heartburn or stomach acid coming up, but I belch ALL DAY and If I don't relieve this pressure it cause heart palpitations. ???? Sometimes my heart will race , other times it thumps and takes my breath away. I don't know where all this air is coming from as I've made dietary changes, I eat smaller meals, I don't lie down after eating, etc. Can Gerd create bloating which presses on the heart??? I am going nuts trying to figure out what to do.I suspect I have a hiatal hernia-could this put pressure on the heart? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks a lot!!!
Hi,,,,,gerd and a hiatal hernia can cause some of the issues u mentioned, but u should see ur dr and let him do testing to rule out if ur heart is a problem.

U do not need to have heart burn to have reflux .......

Until u get to ur dr, try to refrain from eating 3 to 4 hours prior to lying down and be carful as to what u r eating.....please see the Health Pages here on MH for tips and foods to avoid to assist in feeling better.

Please post an update
"selma"
I've been getting the heart palpitations (PVC's) for the last few years, since I was first diagnosed with Acid Reflux and Crohns. I do think digestion plays a big role. I've heard it's because the vagus nerve runs so close to both the heart and colon and when it's aggravated it can cause the heart palpitations, etc.
I also get bloated, heart burn and stomach upset. It gets tiresome, that's for sure. I even got food allergy tested and am trying to avoid certain foods but still get a lot of stomach upset.
Do you have a GI doctor? Are you on any meds? You might want to go and get everything checked out, even your heart. Chances are, it is related to the digestive upset but just to be safe it's a good idea to get a EKG to make sure your heart's fine. Let us know how things go and if it gets any better. Take care!
I have had heart racing when I have a empty stomach and when I excersise or bend over or lay down. I believe it is the acid comming up to my esophogus and irratating it an sending my heart rate up to 180 to 200 beats a minute for 20 minutes. I have suffered with this for 15 yrs. I am convinced it is the acid causing this. Yes stress causes it which in turn raises the acid level. My doctor thinks I'm nuts because he can't explain it. He has put me on a beta-blocker to try to slow it down. I just started it and we'll see if it works.You should stay away from the foods and drinks that irratate the stomach. The gut in front doesn't help either. It pushes the acid up when you bend over or sit. You shoud be on  acid reflux medicine. see ya