Hiatal hernia repair
I only experienced reflux during pregnancies, but recently had a violent bout of vomiting and have had reflux symptoms ever since then. MY only thought must be hiatal hernia ? Why is surgical repair of a hiatal hernia so last resort. Isn't there anyway that i could have my diaphragm tightened but not do the whole fundoplication thing? Also, is the LES being weakened the longer it sits in the wrong place. i just know if it were corrected my symptoms would be gone
Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

B4 u decide on a surgery, make sure u deff have a hiatal hernia...were u dx with one?
People that have had the nissen proceedure have been warned...u will not be able to burp or vomit following the proceedure.

The LES will continue to weaken if ur continue to have excess acid......there r foods to avoid, some just later in the day to avoid like dairy......

It will depend on if ur hernia is a sliding one and it staionary where it is located.

May I ask r u on meds for the GERD?

"selma"
thank you
i just started on zantac but from what i have heard i will soon need to go on a PPI, i have not received a diagnoses of hiatal hernia but i am just fairly certain that it is one. do they ever do the surgery to repair the hernia and not wrap the stomach?
U r welcome.

I am not really well informed on this proceedure....I was dx with my hiatal hernia while still in high school, and I have not had a surgery.I also was able to go yrs with out meds....

"selma"
i had a paraesophogeal hiatal hernia surgery aug 2 with a toupe or partial fundiplication. i have copd  and so had a bit of problem with fluid in lung. recovery has not been bad at all except i still have a little fluid in lung. my problem now is fatigue. i am not anemic, have seen pulmonologist, and surgeon. how long can i expect fatigue to plague me. its been 3 weeks now since surgery an dall i want to do is sleep