GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Nissen Fundoplication

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Nissen Fundoplication

I am considering Nissen Fundoplication to treat my reflux/regurgitation. Can you please let me know what is the success rate of this surgery and side effects.
Hi ... our CL is out this week, but I wanted to stop by to say hello.  I'm not too well versed wtih the Nissen .. but maybe some others will stop by with some info to help you.

You can do a community search for Nissen and see if any info comes up.

WELCOME

C~
Hi...here is a link to the diff threads on this topic.I have not heard of positive results on this proceedure in this forum.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/search/333?query=Nissen+Fundoplication

I would only go this route as a last resort as with ne surgery.Most feel great right afterward, but then feel like it reversed itself somehow.

I must stress u must still consider the lifstyle changes especially after a surgery like this...we have tips to help reduce gerd/acid reflux in our HealthPages.....see ico top right of this page.

If u have ne other questions I will try and answer as beat I can.

"selma"

I have to differ with Selma on this. I had the nissan fundiplication surgery 8 years ago, and it was the best thing I have done. I took all of the anti-acid blockers, pills, etc. with not help at all. After my surgery, I have had no acid reflux at all, unless I take lots of my pain meds for other conditions and forget to eat. So thats totally my fault. So I eat a cracker or piece of toast, and it goes away. Not like the nightly acid reflux, and waking up with my mouth and throat burning. I have had no pain symptoms either. The only side effect I have had that is unpleasant, is I can't vomit. Literally, I can't. If I get deathly naseauated and try, it does feel like it is tearing out. But it never has. And I'm hardly ever naseauated anymore, probably from the reduction of acid in my stomach. I would do this surgery again in a heartbeat. If for some reason it does eventually fail, I will do it again.If you have any questions I can help you with, either leave me a note or e-mail me, I'll help you if I can.

Maggie
Thank you for sharing a poitive outcome with this proceedure. AS I said I have no personal experience to speak of, and can only mention what other's have said in this forum.

All surgery should be considered only if other treatments fail....and the lifestyle changes and foods to avoid are a must even after the surgery.

I am glad to know this proceedure was helpful to u and it is helpful to all that may be considering the proceedure.

Thanks again for sharing your experience
"selma"
I just had the Nissen Fundoplication procedure 9 days ago. While it has cured my acid reflux I have other symptoms that I hope are post op only and will go away.

I have a very hard time getting my food down, and have to eat very slowly in between bites or it is very painful.  I cannot burp and I am very bloated. I can eat only small amounts of food and I feel extremely full from it.  Can you tell me if this is normal for recovering from the procedure, or do you also experience these things 8 years out of surgery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Yvette
Yes, I had those symptoms after surgery. When you eat you are forcing food past the spot where they wrapped your stomach around your esophagus.  Like forcing food thru a rubber band. Yep, that hurts! And the gas, bloating is very normal. You will be able to burp shortly, at least I did. In my experience what you are experiencing is completly normal. Just eat very soft, bland foods for awhile, that should help with the pain. Do you have any results about the cell scrapings they took during the surgery to check for any pre-cancerous cells?  I had some, and was supposed to go back every year for an esophageal check-up, but haven't done so, can't afford it. Did your surgeon give you either oral pills or suppositories in case you get naseauated? That is very import. At this stage vomiting "could" cause the surgery to fail. But I haven't had any problems at all. Just what I described above. And I too woke up with no reflux, and to this day do great. I eat whatever I want. I'm glad you are through the surgery, and you will be feeling better soon. Take it easy, and take care.
Thank you so much for your reply; it made me feel better about having this surgery.  The Dr did not give me any pills but said I could take any over the counter med for gas bloating.  I am not sure, either, if he checked for pre-cancerous cells, as this has never been mentioned.

What happens when you get really sick and feel that you have to vomit?  Isn't this dangerous, if you have food poisoning or the flu?

Thanks again for helping me to understand what I am experiencing!

Vette
The pre-cancerous cells LLWB was probably talking about was Barrett's esophagus, which can in some cases (1 in 200 chance per person, per year) turn into esophageal adenocarcinoma (esophageal cancer). They probably have already checked you for this. No news is good news.
Yep, you're right. Barrett's esophagus whas what I couldn't remember. Think I have that new disease CRS, LOL. I guess in 4 more years when I am eligible for medicaid, if it is still around by then, I can get re-tested for the pre-cancerous cells. Take care all.

It has been one month since my Nissen surgery.  My stomach is still bloated, though I think it is going down ever so slowly each day.  What I am now experiencing is extreme tiredness and lethargy.  I don't seem to want to do anything except lay around.  What could this be??

Thanks,
Vette
Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

It is possible that u r a slow healer....everyone's timetable to recovery will be different.

I am sure that someone that has had the proceedure will pop on and give u some info.

I hope u continue to progress on ur recovery...and please share ur info with us.

"selma"