GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Optimum Time to take Omeprazole

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Optimum Time to take Omeprazole

My doctor and myself believe that I have LPR.  My only symptoms are that one day I wake up with a massive sore throat and I am unable to talk for several weeks afterward.  He prescribed omeprazole 40mg and I have not had any symptoms until this week.  I want off the drug so I am watching what I eat, no late eating, losing weight, etc.  It looks as if I will have to step up the pace a good bit.  I am going to continue the omeprazole for a few months but was wondering if there is a particular optimum time to take the drug?

Hi...we r all different and it could be  that u would need to take it diff from me...so try it  at diff times to see when it  is more effective for u.

Also, make sure u r avoiding all foods that trigger ur symptoms, and elevate the head of ur bed, this should help keep the acids down where they belong.,...and help avoid those sore throats in the AM.

BTW- losing weight can be a trigger for GERD symptoms...so can gaining weight...any change in weight can affect symptoms.

"selma"
omeprazole is a time-delay product, but my doctor suggested to me when I had serious GERD issues 30 - 60 minutes before the largest meal of the day.
Thanks for the replies.  I have experienced no problem for the past 6mo and made the mistake that the drug was working optimally.  I am now experimenting with times to take the drug but before a large meal is where I am going to start.

Gastro Tracker
Gastro
summer
3 hrs ago by drifter0213
House passed the Dark Act H.R. 1599...
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
Need2knoww commented on Salivary gland disord...