GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Pounding heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Pounding heart

I have heart pounding mostly after eating. Lots of burping even when I haven't eaten in hours. Chewing gum helps a little bit with it. Tried everything from Prilosec to HCl to Estrogen gel. Tried bland diets and normal. Nothing works for more than a few days....EKGs normal. Holter monitor says nothing special wrong. Could it be anxiety? Could it be Barrets? Does that cause heart pounding?
Avatar n tn
Gerd causes my heart to beat fast. (It affects my breathing and causes my food to get stuck when it gets really bad.) My cardiologist told me (after many heart tests turned out normal and I was finally diagnosed with gerd) that you have nodes in your esophagus and when your esophagus gets inflamed it can trigger your heart to beat faster. Have you stayed on the Prilosec for a while? The first time I took it it took about 2 months for all my symptoms to go away. I can't overeat or gain weight because it all gets worse. Sleeping on my left side helps and not eating to close to bedtime helps. Also, be sure to take the prilosec at least 30 minutes before eating (an hour before works best for me) and give it a few months to work. It's very surprising what all Gerd causes your body to go through. :) I hope this helps.

I know you commented several years back but I am having similar attacks (due to possibly NSAID-induced reflux) and I was hoping you could help. Mine started 8 weeks ago and my PPIs have been helping (5 weeks on them so far). Do the palpitations take a while to go also? Mine were ranging btwn 110-150 initially and are now just pounding beats, all within normal range (85-90) but that's after minimal activity, like climbing a half-flight of stairs. All of my tests came back neg and I have an appt with a cardiologist this week to go over my event monitor, although when I called in episodes I was always reassured nothing serious was going on and that my heart was only beating fast. Have you been able to eat "normally" again or are you strictly on a GERD diet? Does the pounding heart beat eventually go as your stomach heals or is this a life-long thing now (again, NSAIDs were the cause of mine-I was given too high of a dosage for back pain)?  Any information would help! Thank you so very much!
Gastro Tracker
Gastro