GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Prilosec-Can you take it longer than 14 days?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

How long can you take Prilosec? That is the only medicine that is working but it says only for 14 days. But when I quit taking it for a few days the symptoms reappear. Is there anything else that would help?
Hi...most gerd meds are listed as  short term as they(the patient) should  be monitored by a dr to go beyond that.....as these meds can cause when taking  long term some absorption issues.

These meds should also be accompanied by modification of diet and lifestyle (see Health Pages)http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236

And when ready to stop meds do so in a step down method or u suffer what is known as rebound...Prilosec is a PPI...proton pump inhibitor- it stops the pumps that produce stomach acids which r needed to break down foods...when u stop the meds the pumps turn back on full force.....so stopping slowly is key.

"selma"
Thank you for your comment. I am going to try to take it another 14 days and then try to get off of it slowly. This is my 3rd round. I know that you are supposed to wait the 4 months, but the pain comes back. I also heard that it will affect your bones, not for sure how true that is. But this is the only medicine that will help.
Hi...that is long term usage that can cause absorption issues , naturally from food and from supplements.This is y u should be under the care of  a dr as they will do blood work to keep this all in check.

Be sure to also modify ur diet and lifestyle to aid the meds and allow u to step off the meds.
See Health Pages foods to avoid, tips for lifestyle modification.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236

"selma"
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
flipper336 "Life should be great rathe... Comment
Paxiled commented on GMO CORN
Feb 10
drifter0213 commented on Feels like life is ov...
Feb 09