GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Prozac and Acid Reflux

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Prozac and Acid Reflux

Hi there,
I was given Prozac for anxiety and took it for about two months.  When I got to 40 Mg I started have bad stomach pains and nausea then the acid reflux started.  I went off the prozac three weeks ago and am still struggling with this acid reflux.  I HATE it so much as I'm sure the rest of you do.  It's making me miserable.

Has anyone had a similiar experience with Prozac and if so, how long did it take for the reflux to clear up once off the meds?

Currently I'm swinging back and forth between one OTC Prevacid in the morning and one at night one hour before dinner but it doesn't seem to be helping.  Already tried Prilosec and that didn't help either.  Taking Gaviscon tablets in between but they do absolutely NOTHING and I really don't know why I continue to take them.

Ughhh....Anyone???
Hi...indigestion and other digestive issues can be associated with prozac.

I do know there r many meds that can cause these issues....in fact meds and drugs used during surgery can cause a fare up.

Ur best bet would be to modify diet and lifestyle to aid in calming this down.

Stress can bring these issues on, but u should see what the root of ur issues r and be sure it was nothing more than the meds, like a hiatal hernia.

Not all GERD meds work for everyone...u might try a H2 blocker....

After I had med induced flare up ...it took quite a while to calm down, but I also have a hiatal hernia as well that makes it diff to soothe, plus I was on pain meds and then antibiotics which kept my flare going...if u r off all meds that could play into this and u avoid food and drink triggers...it shouldn't be too long.

Good luck
"selma"
This is just my opinion, but I'm not a believer in taking man made drugs for the most part. Most only hide the problem and some make matters worse. My husband went thru the whole reflux/prevacid/prilosec/zantac merry-go-round before I finally said, no more. There has to be a better way. It seems like taking one prescription always leads to needing more prescriptions, ad infinitum, but it doesn't have to be that way. You can control GERD naturally if you are persistent and mindful of what you are doing. The first challenge is keeping acid from washing up, hence the elevated mattress, but you can also make the acid less destructive by sipping aloe juice or any "green" drink in between meals, such as wheatgrass juice from the health food store. Give your digestive system what it needs to become efficient again by drinking kefir and eating plain high quality yogurt to restore the good bacteria you may have lost. A great natural internal cleanser is powdered activated charcoal that comes in capsules from the health food store. My husband takes them anytime he feels an acid attack coming on and it never fails him. After over 10 years of misery, he now has all symptoms under control, and he still eats all his favorite foods in moderation. Good luck!