GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Something stuck in throat feeling

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Something stuck in throat feeling

Hi.  For a month now, I've had this feeling of something being stuck in my throat, or as if there is a lump or something there.  I have been to an ear, nose, throat specialist twice.  He put me on Augmentin for 10 days, plus a precscription antacid.  He thought I had "Silent Reflux".......meaning I have no heartburn or any other symptoms, but that the acid was skipping my stomach and going to my throat, basically.  This did not work.  The next appt., he put a tube with the camera down my nose and looked at my throat.  He saw nothing.  He also did an XRay on my sinuses.  He saw that I had a blockage and an infection.  My septum is also crooked.  I told him I have no problems, although I do have drainage that I had not ever really noticed until all of this came up.  He put me on another round of antibiotics (5 day Z pack) and prescribed Flonase.  This has also NOT WORKED.  I'm about to lose my mind.  I go back in 2 days.  The doctor wants to check me for allergies,,,,,,,,,which I know I have, but they haven't bothered me at all.   Just curious if anyone else has experienced this, did it go away, and what did you do for it.  Thank you very much!
Hi...just wondering, have u been tested for thyroid issues?...the nodules can also give that stuck in the throat feeling too!!...and I thought silent reflux b4 I opened ur thread too!

Antibiotics can cause more reflux...ask about taking a probiotic to help with that too.

"selma"
I was just tested yesterday.  They should be calling tomorrow.
Good luck on the results.

"selma"
The tests came back normal.   The ENT is wanting to perform sinus surgery!    I'm just not sure that will cure my problem................   He thinks I  have this feeling due to nasal drip.   I don't have any other problems with my sinuses..........at least not enough to go through surgery.   I've asked my doctor to schedule a Barium Swallow.....advised from another doctor.  My doctor does not think this will show anything   ??    I'm get so aggravated from all of this.
I am not much of an expert but I to have that feeling at times that something is hanging in my throat I have had the scope down my throat with showed I have a mild case of esophegitis which they prescribed me carafate and dexilant however in my case I canoot get solid food to pass down normally as it should and it causes me axiety with the feeling of food being stuck and a pressure feeling above my chest that goes away after a while. For the past 4 months I have been eating nothing but malt o meal and drinking protien soy shakes which are the only 2 things I can get down without discomfort. This past Friday my Gastro dr sent me to have a esophageal motility test to check the pressue in my throat when I swallowed and it showed I had some high readings yet I will not know until Monday for the results and also when I was younger I had a dr mention I might have an elongated styloid process which as you get older can cause swallowing problems and discomforts, I mentioned this to my Gastro dr as a last resort if the other test came back normal however i''d have to have a cat scan to test to see if its the elongated styloid aka known as eagle claw disease.
Sounds like it might be Esophagitis . I took Nexium.for about 2 years and I got worse. I never had heartburn during the day. I had the Silent Reflux which was happening when I was sleeping. I had to sleep elevated with a wedge pillow.
Finally I went to a Gastroenterologist .... had the scope done and it was Grade C Esophagitis and a small hiatal hernia .
3 weeks ago I had the new TIF procedure... Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication with EsophyX. It's hard following the diet after surgery but is well worth it.
I'm glad I had it done!
Hi...if u r not comfortable with the suggestion of surgery at this point by all means do have a few more tests to confirm what the root of ur GERD is.

Post Nasal Drip can cause GERD issues to flare and continue...so it is a possible cause.

But u should rule out if u have a hiatal hernia, or high acid or low acid with a PH test.

Good luck and do post an update

"selma"