GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
Sudden severe stomach pain, weakness and fainting

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

36 m, started having sudden severe stomach pain and fainting after taking strong spirits about 6 months ago. This is a new illness to me, I take antacids occasional to control stomach pain when I take aspirins for my heart condition.
But recently, a new problem has started, within a year I have passed out four times, and its always the same sequence.  I drink heavily, maybe a few beer and spirits, but not to the extent of getting drunk, i fall asleep only to wake up a few hours later with extreme abdominal pain, severe weakness, can't even get up to get medication or reach the phone to call for help, i lose consciousness if I try to move. The only time i didn't pass out was when the pain started I was asleep in the car so i woke up, came out and i lay flat on my stomach beside the car, closed my eyes and chewed some antacids i had in my pocket, then a passerbye came to help me and gave me some water, i felt better, got into my car and drove him. The pain lingers for a few hours and disappears totally.
I have seen a doctor about this problem because the 4 episodes I have heard was after taking strong spirits, so now I avoid it totally. Beer makes my stomach full so yesterday i tried very little spirit and I immediately had stomach pain but not to the point of fainting although it was clear that I would have fainted if i had taken more of the gin.
So plz i'd like to know what the problem is, what has changed in my system that I can no longer tolerate gin or whiskey, just beer. What can I do to stop this because the pain and weakness is so sudden and severe that you'd rather die than endure it.
I think I should also add that i am on lisinopril, atenolol and moduretic for over 5 yrs now incase you suspect a drug interraction and also I am very sensitive to food, drugs, perfumes, insecticides etc but these substances usually result in respiratory probs or irregular heartbeat.
Sadly i also smoke.
Also I have mild to moderate stomach pain when i am stressed up

Hi u sound like u have something  more than GERD....CALL UR DR ASAP!!!

AND...stop drinking all alcohol...it will affect u and until u get this under control  u r just aggravating the condition.NEXT, STOP SMOKING...I know u r aware how bad it  is, u said sadly u smoke...so glad quit...I know it will be hard, but it is ur health ....smoking constricts all ur veins and vessels and makes u feel worse and will also trigger flares of GERD.

See a GI Dr...and get on a modified diet...and lifestyle so u can begin to feel better...we do have some articles in the Health Pages with tips on lifestyle  changes...such as stop smoking, no eating late at night, no lying down for 3 to 4 hrs after eating....avoid spicy foods, acidic foods, sodas, alcohol......http://www.medhelp.org/gerd/articles/What-is-Heartburn/247

Once u have this cleared up u may eb able to enjoy some things again in moderation.....

Good luck and do post updates

"selma"
Thx, will see my dr asap

Good : )

And do post an update

Good luck

"selma"