Surgical repair of Paraoesophageal Hernia
Hiatal Hernia repair - recently I had surgery to repair a Paraoesophageal hernia. The following notes were written by the surgeon whom has moved to an unknown hospital and I can not contact.
I am wondering if you can tell me whether or not the surgeon has used a mesh in the repair or simply just sutured it.

He writes - Two 2-0 Prolene sutures to close diaphram with pledgets. One suture anteriorly. Snug closure over 52 Fr bougie. Redo 360 wrap with three 2-0 Novafil sutures. Hemostatis intact. Closure of facia with two #1 prolene sutures, skin with staples.

It sounds confusing to me but I need to know whether or not by the description whether a mesh was used
Hi...sorry, but we r not drs in this forum...it is a support forum and there is no way for us to tell u what ur dr did or did not do....http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Gastroenterology/show/107

U may want to try the expert forum here on Medhelp, but the best u may do is a dr  or a tech at the hospital where the surgery was completed.

May I ask y u need to know this now?

Good luck
"selma"
I have had 4 surgeries, First was a nissen Fundoplication, next was a hiatal hernia repair 40% stomach in chest. Third was an open abdominal repair of Hiatal hernia and they were suppossed to put in something called Timesh. 6 months later and I have hernia again and they will need to operate through the chest. When I reviewed the operation procedure notes I couln't see where any mesh was inserted and I am suprised that the hernia recurred as I was told it was unlikely after having the mesh.. In a nutshell I think they forgot to put the mesh in last time..
OIC...goodness...u certainly have been thru a lot.....

Have u ever considered that u have something else going on that ur hernia returns?

I have a condition called Ehlers -Danlos and having a hernia is typical of the condition......it may be something to look into......just a thought.

I hope u get answers

"selma"