about acid reflux
It is 8:30 pm and I am starting to get stomach gas from the sandwich I ate at 2:30 pm. I drank some water hoping to calm my stomach but doesn't help. I will not be able to go to bed until it does because I will have a session of acid reflux which is so terrible that it affects my jaw and ear (pain).  My food doesn't seem to digest very well.  Don't know what to do because the reflux business (it lasts for about 2 hours and am left wheezilng like the sound of a cat - really) also leaves me with a sore throat from coughing so much.  It is a terrilfying experience for me!!
You can try some Tums, if you have none, baking soda- please read the directions.  talk to your doctor- maybe you need to be on Prevacid or something over the counter-  eat more fruits and vegies, cut out sugars , white food and processed foods,  and you will feel better- if acid reflux runs in your family- you will need to take something everyday- but take more calcium, since those medications rob your body of calcium.

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum,

May I ask what kind of sandwich was this, and didn't u eat since? U can get GERD symptoms from skipping meals....

Keep a journal of what u eat and when to see if u see what the pattern is and what ur triggers are. Try to avoid the typical foods, bevs that trigger GERD..even lifestyle changes can help....do not lay down for 3 to 4 hrs after eating, eat 4 to 5 small meals instead of 3.....elevate the head of ur bed....

See the Health Pages for more tips on diet and lifestyle changes that can help u.   http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
Hi and thanks for your comments.  I had a cucumber sandwich and about 4 hrs later had a chicken sandwich (no mayo - just non hydrogenated margarine).I do not drink soft drinks or consume any fat really (I am diabetic).  I do have this feeling that because of the many medications I take that they actually cause my reflux.  I never eat before going to bed - too scared!! I am a senior and live alone so I am NOT into cooking - at least no very often. Sometimes I eat a little too early and that is when I get hungry.  Tums do not help.  I have a prescription from my Dr. but it doesn't help.  I drink apple cider vinegar first sign and wait to see how the reflux is reacting to that. It actually does pretty good job but certainly burns my throat. I also use a puffer because the acid gets into my lungs and I really cough.this reflux will wake me in an instant and I try not to cough which makes it really bad.  I never lie down after eating neither might have to be scoped to see if I have hurt my esophagus.  

Hi...have u been to a GI Dr recently....apple cider vinegar is adding more acid....and if ur acid is high this will not help. It will be found as a "cure" as those with low acid can have the same symptoms as those with high acid reflux...so, u need to see a Dr and find out the PH...do u have high or low acid symptoms...if they r high, the apple cider vinegar is not going to help u.

Cucumbers can cause reflux on many people too so it may be what ur r eating...keep a journal and see if u can see a pattern.

If the apple cider vinegar seems to help, could be u have low acid and the meds u r taking may be the problem.....talk to ur Dr again, ask about a PH test, probiotics and see if that helps....but talk to ur Dr b4 u change ot take nething new or diff from what he rx'd.