GERD (Acid Reflux) Expert Forum
awakening in severe thoracic pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

awakening in severe thoracic pain

I recently was changed from prilisec to protonix which greatly relieved the laryngeal irritation from silent gerd.  Two nights past week have awakened with severe nerve pain entire left thorax (front & back between shoulder blades) and left arm/hand.  Ironically no substernal chest pain.  Echo and persantine tests normal 3 months ago (done to evaluate for PH/copd)  It was 9/10 and 10/10 severity nerve pain, not muscle, no brash, no acid in throat, etc.  It lasted less than 10 minutes.  I drank warm water and took a pepcid complete.  Since it was so wide spread (waist to shoulder) am trying to figure out if this is just severe diffuse esophageal spasm (not up into neck like I get with 1-2x year esophageal spasm) or thoracic spine problem.  I am fused C3-6, severe OA C1-2 and am starting to have more neck pain.  I do not have any anxiety or panic disorders.  I do have MCTD and am on plaquenil.  I don't know whether to pursue this with a GI doc or just monitor it for now.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.