GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
gerd, headaches and muscle pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

gerd, headaches and muscle pain

I am 55; for the last few years I experience 2-4 gerd attacks a year.  Most attacks are accompanied by an intense headache and all-over muscle aches that commonly last for a week.  The 24-hr headaches approach migraine levels with brief spikes when I laydown or stand up.  The headache and muscle pain are way more debilitating than the gerd itself.  But it always starts with gerd.  The gerd isn't classic heartburn either, it's mainly a pressure pain in my chest and back.  My heart checks out OK.  Does anybody else get this combination?  What have you found out?

BTW, I have experienced infrequent short esophageal spasms my whole life, but gerd only started a few years ago.
I think likely it is not uncommon to suffer both from GERD and migraines, because I definitely have both problems.  What test(s) have you had for your heart?  I don't think all over muscle aches are a symptom of GERD.  However, have you ever been tested for fibromyalgia?  You can have GERD, migraines and muscle pain with fibromyalgia.

I had the same problem before and i had it checked with my Gastroenterologist. He ruled out GERD because i thought i was having heart problems and i thought i was going to have a heart attack anytime. I also thought that i had lung problems because of the back ache. I would suggest you ask your doctor for a better medicine. I did take Nexium and it helped me out a lot. The thing is i am also feeling the same thing again and so i will have to go to my doctor and have it checked again as i feel like i'm having a heart attack again and i have muscle pains and the pain in my back is seriously hurting. Stress causes GERD so i was advised to live a stressful life which is so impossible. I will let you know what happens when i see my doctor but i suggest you do the same to keep you calm. I understand what you're going thru and believe me you're not alone in feeling that way.
Hi There,

i experience the chest pain and muscle ache. it feels like i'm having a heart attack! this happens quit frequently to me. say 4 times a week for the last 8months. they think i have Aerophagia. they have already diagnosed me with GERD.
Hey,

I have exactly the same problems. I was diagnosed with GERD and I get weeks of reall bad headache and migraines. I think I get these after not taking care of my eating habits (especially when drinking alcohol). I used to have really bad chest pain but that disappeared with medication... it's just the headaches and nausea now. It's awful! I don't know what to do anymore, headaches are getting worse and worse... Have you found any solutions?

Monica
I am 28 and went to the ER 2 times this week with the same symptoms you described. Felt like I was having a heart attack.  First one sent me home and said i had a typical symptoms.  Had another attack the next day and went to a differant ER and was diagnosed with Gerd low potassium and anxiety.  Hoping it passes soon as i am miserable.  Sometimes my head hurts so bad that i feel like I am about to pass out.  I keep wondering if they missed something.  
Hi,I'm 31 and am also suffering from the same problems mentioned by you all, Had a complete cardiac check up which included ECG -Resting,TMT ,Echo testing,X- ray, CT scan and all possible tests for cardiac problem. Nothing was identified. I was eating from restaurants during those days as I out of my home town. The problems continued till I returned back and started eating home made food. These days whenever I eat deep fried, oily or non veg food I have the same problems. This occurs if I delay in my food intake also. The pain is too scary and many a times I had this feeling of cardiac attacks, but my doctor laughs it off as anxiety. My anxiety levels are increased whenever this happens .The last such incident was 4 days back. My left hand started aching then it passed to right almost like a tennis elbow and if I press any where in my chest or back  I start burping and back pain also. Since I have survived this without any problem I feel this should be related to acidity only. Out of fear I Check my BP regularly during these incidents .It is always around 130/80 mark and my doctor says its normal for a slightly over weight guy like me .I was doing rigorous walking for 2 months almost 5 miles (8kms a day) .During those days never once this appeared and my BP had dropped to 120/80.The lesson I have learnt is do more exercise and be careful in what you eat. Wish you Good luck.
Regards
Vijesh
I too went to the ER for all of the aforementioned ailments. I thought heart attack as well, did all of tests and nothing. I was diagnosed with Gerd, GAD, Panic Disorder and Costochondritis. Now I have horrible migraines. I hate to mention my symptoms and rush to the ER, they treat you like you're crazy!
Hi...ur best bet is to go to ur reg PCP and get a complete check up...find out what is at the root of ur issues.....stress will make GERD issues flare out of control and many times it will feel like a heart attack.

So go to ur reg dr and get a complete check up.

"selma"
Gerd will wake me up at night.  The gerd leaves me coughing and then I ache all over for about 2 days.

Have u gone to a Dr to see if u may have other issues going on with u as well as ur GERD?