GERD (Acid Reflux) Community
omeprazole prior to lab tests
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) / Acid Reflux with topics including: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC medications, Living with GERD, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

omeprazole prior to lab tests

I'm a male, 32 yo and I'm about to undergo cholesterol, triglyceride and hdl tests. I forgot to mention to my physician that I'm currently taking omeprazole. I just learned that it may affect the tests, how long should I stop taking this drug before I undergo the lab tests?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1756321 tn?1377771734
From what i've read, prilosec (omeprazole) may lower cholesterol levels by inhibiting the amounts of cholesterol producing enzymes. How long should you stop taking this drug? Maybe a few months to see a difference perhaps.

When acid blockers were introduced onto the market, it was recommended not be taken for more than 6 weeks.  A very good reason for that! Not to mention insufficient stomach acid is by far a more common cause of acid reflux.

"There are four primary consequences of acid stopping drugs:

Increased bacterial overgrowth
Impaired nutrient absorption
Decreased resistance to infection
Increased risk of cancer and other diseases"

To read more: How your antacid drug is making you sick (Part A) by Chris Kresser
Blank
63984 tn?1385441539
I don't take any medications for 24 hours before being tested for cholesterol, etc.  Prilosec exits the body rather quickly, and from what I read has very little impact on the body after just a few hours.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Gastro Tracker
Gastro
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
3166043 tn?1454907261
Blank
christineyvette Derealization is the WORST Comment
56 mins ago