Gallbladder Community
Right side pain

The gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ underneath your liver that stores bile and most often gives you trouble when something, like a gallstone, blocks the flow of this bile. Discuss topics including gallbladder attacks, gallbladder removal, gallstones, and inflammation.

Right side pain

A few days ago, I started having a nagging right side pain and by the next day it was so intense I ended up in the ER. They did bloodwork, uralyisis, ultrasound of my gallbladder and ct scan to check for kidney stones. Everything came back normal and now I'm very frustrated. They sent me home with painkillers and told me it could possibly be my gallbladder, to follow up and get a HIDA scan.  Now a couple days later, my side doesn't hurt as bad but is sore. If I make certain movements I feel pain and pressure, especially when I first sit or get up from
Sitting. No new symptoms, just some gas. I'd love any insight as to what
Might be causing this? Could it still be my gallbladder?
Hi,  After I have a galbladdder attack I am very sore for a few days.  From what I understand, unless you have an infection the gallbladder usually settles down after an attack, but I am left with residual pain. Please keep us posted.

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If there is tenderness when touched, then it could be due to trauma or a superficial infection of the skin. The other causes could be gastritis, peptic ulcer disease and GERD. Disorders of the liver and colon could also cause pain. Kidney disorders too produce colicky and sharp pain. Sometimes anxiety with flatulence can cause this pain. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi guys! Thank you very much for your helpful feedback :) anyways, after a couple days the pain moved down further on my back. It was constant no matter what I ate, so gallbladder was ruled out. Turns out the scan missed a small kidney stone! Who knew that could hurt so badly.thanks again though!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This could be renal colic. Small stones can obstruct the passage of urine and when the body tries to 'push' against the blockade this results in colic, which is severe attacks of pain. The causes for stone formation are urinary tract infections, kidney disorders and metabolic disorders like hyperparathyroidism. In addition to this a person with a strong family history is more likely to develop stones. So, the stone formation causes need to be dealt with to prevent stone formation. In addition the therapy for renal stones depends on the size, the location and the kidney functions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.