Gastroenterology Community
3yr old constipation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

3yr old constipation

My 3 year old has been having constipation for the last week and a half or so.  He has been potty trained for at least 6 months with no problems so I don't think he is trying to be in "control" by holding his bowels.  When he goes to the bathroom he tells me it's "stuck" or "it went back in".  It doesn't seem as though he is in pain, although he doesn't really tell me those things quite yet.  He has been having a lot of accidents in his pants.  They are just smears of bm and it isn't a lot.  About the size of a quarter, with no accumulation of anything, basically a little smear.  It also seems as though he has been not urinating as much.  He can go almost until noon without going to the bathroom.  And like any young kid he drinks a lot of fluids so I am hoping there isn't a blockage of some sort.  Can anybody help me with this?  I am unsure what to do.  
Well I think that if there was anything terrible going on, he'd be in alot of pain.  If he seems fine otherwise and has no complaints, Id just give him a bunch of apple juice and see what happens. If he goes longer without a BM, I 'd go get a fleet childs enema :)
I agree with mlr3475080 except I would see a doctor soon because he may be impacted.
A variety of precursors can cause an impacted bowel, with recurrent or acute constipation at the top of the list. Chronic constipation can lead to fecal matter hardening and drying onto the walls of the digestive tract, causing blockage throughout the intestines. Not only does this hinder movement of waste but it makes nutrient absorption even more difficult, placing additional strain upon the digestive system. In some cases of chronic constipation, bowel impaction may be present but liquid stools still occur as the debris leaks around the impaction. This can result in a partial or complete loss of rectal control and the potential for soiling oneself.
If an adult goes more than 3 days and doesn't have a BM they are considered constipated if a child goes more than 4 days they are considered constipated.This often happens when children start school or enter daycare and feel shy about asking permission to use the bathroom.
outspoken's advice is right. She is obviously very educated, I would add that you don't give the enema because if there is a blockage it is possible to perforate the bowel by adding the water volume to an already distended colon. Always listen for bowel sounds in all 4 quadrants of the bowel 1st, It should sound like a trickling sound, without a stethospope this can be hard to hear. When dealing with a small child I would only advise the absolute safest methods, small glycerin suppository, prune juices you can add sugar or mix with favorite drink in smaller amts during the day. I also would generally not recommend inserting anything into a childs rectum due to there tender development years, they have a limited capacity for understanding why and what you are doing and it is possible to cause him-her more emotional issues r-t that area of the body especially during a potty training experience. Call the Dr asap in the morning, follow there advice, if a suppository or enema is necessary suggest they do it so that the child does not associate you with the negative potentially painful experience, but do be there to comfort. Don't make a huge fuss over the BM to the child. Odd but something to consider, move a potty chair by you and have your child join you in the bathroom during your BM, be descreet but demonstrate that it uis comfortable and normal and no big deal. The last thing any of want is a kid with bowel issues like those of this on this site were cursed with!!
Good luck. outspoken if you can will you please comment on my lengthy question? I posted about 30 mins ago.