Gastroenterology Community
4 week wait for appendectomy of ruptured appendix - what activities are...
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

4 week wait for appendectomy of ruptured appendix - what activities are safe ?

I'm 41yrs old, in reasonable fitness and health but have been diagnosed with a ruptured appendix and have had a drain/antibiotic therapy to clear up the infection and abscess. The appendix will be taken out in 4 weeks' time. What range of physical activity should I carry out in the interval? Would there be a risk of causing damage by lifting, bending, moderate gym exercise etc ?

Thanks..
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
4 weeks?  That's nuts.  A ruptured appendix leaks into all your organs as I understand it.  I would think you need immediate medical attention.
Blank
Well no, the received advice is to clear up the infection (high mixed antibiotic doses) and be sure that the infection has gone/inflammation has subsided before proceeding with the removal. An interval of this period does seem fairly routine - as long as there is ongoing monitoring to ensure no infection reoccurs. I think the assumption is that in the absence of continuing fevers, pain etc the appendix rupture has naturally sealed - long enough at least till the operation. Hence my question about whether there are any specific activities or movements I should be avoiding in the mean time, I don't want it reopening for business !
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
Sell the cat and the parakeet and fly to America and get the operation within 6 hours.

If the appendix is ruptured the only thing you will end up with is anti-biotic resisant bacteria. And hopefully the priest will say nice things about you at your funeral.

I'm with TurkeyLurkey.

"That's nuts!"
Blank
Ummm... http://insidesurgery.com/2006/04/appendix-removal-appendectomy/ - particularly the third paragraph relating to abscess (which I had)... The (American I think) article suggests a 6 week interval so 4 weeks wouldn't seem to be excessive.
Blank
You are crazy if you wait 4 weeks for removal of your ruptured appendix.  If you end up with peritonitis you wil be extremely ill !! I dont care if they have you on antibiotics the organ had ruptured infection into your abdominal cavity !!  Besides I would think that the appendix itself can turn gangreen because of the rupture!!  You are crazy to wait antibiotics or not surgery is the answer!
Blank
I did have peritonitis prior to admission and yes, I was extremely ill though had no idea of how bad I actually was (I thought I had a bad dose of the flu with a stomach bug). This was successfully treated and, from my reading regarding the handling of a ruptured appendix, the pre-op interval is fairly standard. So any advice regarding activity while I wait would be appreciated!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank