Gastroenterology Community
Acid Reflux. Please help!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Acid Reflux. Please help!

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if it's possible that Acid Reflux can cause shortness of breath/rapid heart rate. Everytime I eat something, about 20 minutes later I'll regurgitate and it will get SO annoying and non stop. I then feel liquid come back up my throat, and it's really bothersome. After that I'll have shortness of breath for a while and feel like my stomach is really pressure, then I'll have to go to the bathroom and sometimes my heart will start to speed up a bit and then go back to normal after 10-20 minutes. Is this normal? Do people with Acid Reflux go through this?

I went to an ENT a couple months ago because I had a throat ache and he stuck this tube down my throat and told me I had Acid Reflux and I was like WOAH! That's not even when I came for. LOL he then prescribed some Prevacid for me. I took it for a month and it worked great but I stopped because everytime I'd take it I'd feel this weird unreality sensation. After awhile of feeling good and back to normal..the reflux symptoms came back so I took prevacid again and then felt weird again so I totally stopped on that. What should I do? Sometimes I'll take tums and whatever is around but it only gets the job done on a temporary bases.

Reflux can cause a lot of weird symptoms, but I've never heard of shortness of breath or a rapid heart rate.  It could be that you hate the reflux so much that you're having some sort of panic attack, I guess.  It's worth mentioning that "surreal" sensations are panic attack symptoms, too.  And anxiety can cause reflux (believe me on that one).  I'm not saying you have an anxiety problem but I thought I'd throw it out there.

If you don't like the side effects of Prevacid, there are other PPI's you could try.  Nexium, for instance, and there are others.  Most side effects subside after a while but it sounds like you've taken enough of it that they'd go away if they were going to.  Have you tried over the counter solutions like Maalox, Zantac, etc?  I'd see a gastroenterologist.
Hey there! Thanks for your comment. I in fact have had plenty of anxiety attacks, but the past few months I've really turned it around and have been really positive and good. It's just everytime I eat my stomach hurts. It's really sensitive.

I just bought maalox today so im going to try that out and see how it works!

I brought up the shortness of breath/rapid heart rate because I've read a bunch of times that it may be symptoms of Acid Reflux. Kinda rare though I think! lol

Thanks again!
Well, maybe they are symptoms.  I think when someone gets really bad reflux they get really nervous, though, so I'm not sure it's direct symptoms.  Could be, though.  I don't know.
Thanks, I never realized that.  I've experienced acid reflux for several years and never had shortness of breath.  Goes to show you...everyone's different.
Incidentally, the alveoli constrict in response to the antigen, this decreases the percentage of oxygen absorbed, and yoy develop a momentary compensatory tachycardia.
Shortness of breath is quite common under the circumstances. The regurgitated acid flows up and then enters the trachea and thence down into the alveoli. This, in effect, precipitates a classical asthmatic attack. So it is not "psychological".
thanks so much for the info! I thought it made sense to get shortness of breath/rapid heart rate.

what do you think is the best medicine for this? anything good that doesn't have to be a prescription medicine?
For your reflux ....ALOE!
You don't even need to buy those expensive juices or gels.
Just buy the aloe leaves, cut one piece at a time, peel and mash the gel. Eat this after each meal and just before bed.
It is miraculous.
Acid reflux can cause shortness of breath and a rapid heart beat.  It happens to me when my stomach ulcers act up.  It even gets to the point where I start to get very hot and my blood pressure goes up due to pain.  I went to the ER back in December because I was having chest pains, burning pain going down my left arm, high blood pressure and very bad burning in my stomach.  Just so happens that my ulcers were acting up and will mimic signs and symptoms of a heart attack.
i have reflux too. and anxiety. i'm taking some xanax in addition to protonix for reflux. i just get pannicky and rushes of anxiety cause i feel like i'm choking. i notice heart rate goes up and i feel a rush of burning sensation up my chest . my dad had heart symptoms with his reflux, pain in arm , chest pain and shortness of breath. they did every heart test and told him it was just his reflux. i have it too. i feel shortness of breath a lot and i'm in good shape otherwise (i skateboard for crying out loud!) i hate this feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a hiatal hernia, and Gerd. My doctor had prescribed acifex because the Gerd made me feel like I was having a heart attack.  That worked to get rid of the intense chest pain from reflux. I did not want to be on such a powerful medication for long, and I did find an alternative cure for my acid reflux. I work in a health food store, and found a product called "The herbal answer aloe force"  you can purchase it online, and read about it.  It is fantastic. I took it for a couple of months, and I have not had another problem with acid reflux since.  It heals the digestive tract from beginning to end. It is made in Saratoga Springs, New York 12866. I would wake up in the moring with the burning stomach pain. I went directly to the bottle of aloe force, and took two ounces, went and took my shower, and after the shower it was like I was a new person.....no pain, no reflux. I no longer have to take the product.  It doesn't taste good, but it is so worth it. It costs $19.99 for a liter. I sell tons of it at work, and I always ask the customer to let me know how it worked, and they are back buying it by the case.....no joke.  So check it out online for yourself.  It works!!!!
I forgot to mention that I am acid reflux free now for three years.
The Herbal Answer Aloe Force comes in a white plastic bottle with green lettering.....not the one that is blue and white.  I just checked Amazon.com, and you can buy it there. I suggest you go right to the website, and read about he product. Just for your own knowledge.
thanks for your advice.I'm now researching this product.I've been feeling real bad all summer,went to allergist,ent,family doctor.Had burning chest,congested nose,trouble breathing,dizzyness,waking up at night..ent had me tested and said i have reflux put me on acifex.allergist gave me tests said im allergic to berch tree which does not bloom now put me on nassionex,asmeanex,allegra d,astalin.
I experience a lot of the various symptoms I hear about. I recently had a roof leak and developed some mold in th house. I had a mold inspector inform me that mold can cause Acid Reflux and other related symptoms. Have any of you heard this? He also indicated most doctors don't know this as mold is not a well studied problem in the medical arena.

BillSch
at 33 years,. four years ago i started experiencing a sour taste ,sensitive teeth stuffy nose.went to a doctor who diagnosed post nasal drip and prescribed beconaze inhalor.weeks later symptoms were worsening.i had tightness in my chest almost like areally bad flu or chest infection.i also woke by night coughing and choking.docs are expensive where i live and not at all competent.i thought it would pass.i then had this terrible feeling of a lump in my throat as if i were about to cry thought i was depressed had a constant feeling in my stomach as if i were grieving.started waking up in the morning with my mouth full of mucous like jelly.then i had a sensation as if someone were pressing in on the soft spot between my collar bones at the front.the pain started to radiate up my neck an around to my back and shoulders .went to same doc again he prescribed difene anti inflamatories.theses totally destroyed me ended up in A&E with what felt like a heart attack.they did ECG found nothing they sent me home clueless.a neighbour suggested i go to her doc he instantly diagnosed GERD prescribed nexium (useless)also an old tab called cemetidine it took about three years for these to work i.e.daily doses of nexium 80mg cimetedine 4 x200mg motillium 4x10mg and valium 3x5mg daily . by the way the valium really do help with the stress from gerd and boy its the worst thing ever.strangely i never suffered regurge.just felt as though i swallowed stinging nettles constant.use to swallow frozen peas for a few seconds relief.it took nearly a year of a wait for endo and ph test.crazy (i live in ireland)diagnosis low motility esophagus, gastritis ,hiatus hernia.cimetidine are the best tabs and much cheaper than PPIs.i really know what gerd is.x