Gastroenterology Community
Anus itches, no rash at all

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anus itches, no rash at all

So, i have had anal itching for about 5 months now and it is becoming really annoying.  it seems to be coming from within the anus.  at first i had some bright blood spots every now and then when i wiped and now it is no longer present but there is still itching.  i have had a fissure every now and then in the past, but they went away and never itched.  now there is no blood at all and the itch is still present.  i don't think i have pinworms because i tried the tape test and saw nothing, i don't think it's a hemorrhoid because i used prep H suppositories for a little while and it persisted...what other things can i try before having to go see a dr.? i don't have medical insurance and recntly lost my job...  anyway i can't see any signs of anything, my anus looks normal, it just itches.  suggestions or similar cases?
Have you ever had periods of diarrhea (especially at the time when having fissures)? Fissures occur in fungal infection but also in Crohn's disease...

Parasites often produce some mucus and are present with some bloating (not necessary though). Parasites may be one-cell organisms like Entameba histolytica or intestinal worms...

Hemorrhoids are still possible...
Itching is a very common symptom of a Hemorrhoid.  Instead of Prep H, get some cotizone anti-itch cream, and you will get immediate relief.  Prep H has never helped me with the itching, just shrinking the hemmorhoid and relieving the irritation.

Don't buy the Preparation H cream for itching, it doesn't work.  I use Cortizone Plus, and any of these are found in the same area as Prep H.  For a few days you may want to keep a tube (they're small) in your pocket and apply a few times a day or just as the itch starts.  After a week or less the itching will go away, and then you won't need the cream.  But keep it around in case it starts up again, which should be rarely.  Also, it's pinworms that cause anal itching, they can be found easily at night, and nightime is is when the itch would be most intense.  Plus, you would see them very easily in any BM's.  They are very small and white.  There are also over the counter meds for these, but I think yours is hemorrhoid related.  Also, not to be crude, but always make sure your bottom is clean.  Any feces left on the area can cause irritation and itching.