Gastroenterology Community
Chest Pains & Gas (caused by acid reflux or?) ...Please help !!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am 32 / Male / 170 lbs. I have been having issues with my digestion for the last 3-4 months. I have had a minor issue with accumulating gas which usually relieved by antacid (and occasional Zantac - hardly once a year). trapped gas in my stomach feels like a big ball suspended just below my esophagus and is being pulled out gradually. This is similar to my symptoms I have had for a long time (6 yrs) but is very rare.

But now the symptoms are a little different: I am getting severe Chest Pains (stabbing pain) in the upper left chest (around the nipple), sternum, and close to my left armpit. also occurs but rarely on the right side. Also new is the occasional upper back pain (between my left shoulder blade and back bone) My blood tests showed positive for H.Pylori in Jan/Feb 2010 and was on PrevPac. As soon as I stopped Omerprozole (currently 20mg, twice a day for 3 months), the chest pains came back. The pain is almost always relieved by burping but leaves behind a dull ache for hours...Pepto Bismol is my best friend right now :(

I otherwise has decent health and moderately active (haven't had to see a Doc in years). No burning sensation (heartburn?), no abdominal pain, no regurgitation, no vomiting, no diarrhea,  no issues with lipids, cholesterol levels are normal, none of the typical GERD / Acid Reflux symptoms, except the excess Gas & stabbing Chest Pains. The chest area is sometimes sore to touch.

My primary care doc thinks it is acid reflux and I had to beg him for a stress EKG - which came out normal. Can you please let me know what these CHEST PAINS could be...what else I can do....PLEASE!!
I am having the same issues but I am also having problems with constipation and pain in my upper  right quandrant.  The pain in my chest is sharp but feel like pressure and radiates into my shoulders.  I also have pain inbetween my shoulder blades.  It feels like trapped gas but it just will not go away.  This has been going on for a few days. I also posted but have heard nothing.  So if anyone out there has had simalar symptoms and got a diagnosis please comment.  good luck to you Jay.
I also have the same feelings with the trapped gas chest pain  back pain... I have upper right and left pains plus diarrhea and blood in stool... All my chest x rays and ekgs came back fine... All I can say is hang in there and go to the doctor... I know waiting on an appointment seems like a life time!!!
After much waiting, I was able to see a GI specialist. He thinks there is nothing really serious, but seems to understand that since the medication is helping...it may be a combination of things. He ordered a Upper GI Endoscopy and Chest CT scan. Both came back negative. I am still going through the 24Hr PH study with a Bravo capsule. Have to wait a see how this goes.
Sounds like the same thing I've been going through You may have GERD which you need to take Prilosec or some other form of it. I wish I hadn't went to the ER cause they ran all those test then claim everything comes back fine, but then again I'm glad it wasn't a heart problem. Hope this helps and good luck with your health. It will take some time and a diet change to get better no fried food, no dairy, onions, tomatoes etc.