Gastroenterology Community
Cold sensation in stomach, history of blood in vomit and stool.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi.

I am experiencing a strange cold sensation in my stomach. It started earlier today. My stomach is not cold to the touch, rather the feeling is in the stomach itself. I would compare the feeling to a flow of cold fluid. This sensation comes and goes in short intervals.

Just before this started, I experiences a very short episode of severe abdominal pain. It only lasted like 10 seconds or so, but the pain was quite intense.

Also I have been vomiting bright red blood a couple of months ago and also found small amounts of bright red blood in stool upon inspection lately (definitely blood, no beetroots or such).

Now I wonder if there is a a connection? I read on a website that cold sensations CAN be a symptom of internal bleeding. This was written by a doctor.Though, the medical literature I have consulted does not mention this.

I do not feel extremely weak, pale, cold or have very rapid pulse (it is about 60-80 bpm right now). Quite thirsty though.

Hence, there are not major signs of major internal bleeding. But I am a little bit worried about this cold sensation as it is distinct from what my stomach usually feels like and it somehow feels so strange and wrong. Before I started to read up on it, I instinctively thought "hey, it feels like bleeding in the stomach".

I do have a doctors apointment in a couple of weeks regarding another issue, but as this worries me I would appreciate thoughts, ideas and advices. As I said, I am worried about major internal bleeding. I mean, I guess one wouldnt experience all the classic major symptoms in the beginning and I´m afraid it could get worse fast.

Also I should maybe mention that I have had some heartburn and reflux at times. This is usually helped by over the counter drugs, and I have tried those for this cold sensation but it is still there.

Thanks in advance!
Mediumman, if you were vomiting blood and have some blood in your fecal material it might be a decent idea to call your doctor and more the appointment up. I think it would be difficult for any of us to say what the cold feeling in your stomach is since symptoms of a number of conditions can vary quite a bit. But something is clearly going on and your doc should be called and clued in.
Thanks for your reply CalGal, I appreciate it!

Well, the blood in the vomit was deemed to be "normal" by a doctor I visited back then, he said it was because of acid reflux which creates some kind of small wound in the throat. Quite harmless, he said. To be honest I would have liked a more thorough investigation, but as I had gastroscopy a year earlier I felt I should not request to have it done so soon again if the doctor did not want to do it.

The blood in the stool is only a small amount every now and then, but of course I am going to investigate this further. Though it does not seem acute in the sense that it cannot wait 2 weeks. (and if I call tomorrow and ask for another apointment it could take even longer anyway).

What I am really worried about is if there is some, a bit bigger kind of bleeding which started and which needs medical attention very soon. Though I realise I do not show the typical signs like very rapid pulse or anything like that, I am worried that if something started today it might go on and get worse tomorrow...