Gastroenterology Community
Constant diarrhea for 5 years, at my wit's end

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

In June 2004, whilst driving a delivery lorry for work, from out of nowhere I had to pull in to the side of the road and use a toilet extremely urgently as I developed severe stomach cramps and needed to empty my bowel with a sense of urgency I have never experienced before.

I was diagnosed diabetic type 1 at the age of 26 (this episode above was at the age of 30) and have managed my condition well according to my doctors.

Since 2004, I have had passed 5 to 10 "proper" stools, with or without the considerable use of loperamide (Immodium) on a daily basis.

I have had a endoscopy camera examination in february 2007 (no evidence of IBS, crohns, colitis, coeliac disease but sum evidence of inflammation where small intestine joins large intestine; biopsy's normal allegedly) and a barium x-ray in december 2007 (again, nothing suspect).

My stools have been tested by nhs and everything is normal according to them; tested for diseases and conditions and all results normal.

I have been prescribed and taken during this 4 and a half years of hell; creon (no change), colestyramine (no change), loperamide (my episodes are so bad that back and forth to the toilet 20 times in 6 hours that loperamide has no effect any more).

My stools are very floaty,very fatty, very offensive smelling. I have chronic wind over an hour or so before I need to start passing multiple stools but there never seems to be odour to the passed wind.

Most stool movements tend to happen from 12 midnight to 5am, which means I get very bad broken sleep most nights.

I have started acupuncture as an alternative treatment and hav had very slight success with 2 or 3 nights without problems but it still goes on.

Can anyone in the world out there give me any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can try or what could possibly be wrong with me. I am extremely depressed, sad and upset as a result of this problem and would welcome with open arms anyone who could suggest something to help me or dare I say it possibly help cure this hell that I am enduring.

Thanking anyone's comments or thoughts in advance

Rob
hello, i would suggest you get tested for fructose malabsoption, lactose,glucose, lactulose and gluten intolerances, the first 4 are breath tests and the last is a blood test, cheers.
Thank you for your advice, none of my health care team have suggested any of the above in the whole time I have suffered. I have excluded lactose and gluten intenetionally for a few weeks each which didn't have any noticeable effect but I will get some proper tests done.
There is a blood test for crohns that shows if you have the gene.  It is expensive, about 400.  However, it sounds like early stage of chrons.  The fact that there was inflamation (inflammation) where the small and large intestine joins sounds like it also.  The foul smell also sounds like crohns.  Good luck
Did any doctor give you LOMOTIL (Diphendxylate/Atrop 2.5mg )

Also, you should have a Doctor give you IV Potassium.
Get  your  Potassium levels checked, if they are low .

Then request Klor-con 8 8MEQ TER
Note: NEVER TAKE MORE THAN 2 tablets

All this can affect your condition.

Hope you get help,
Chris
let me know how you went.
I have been put on an increased dose of Colestyramine (3 x 4g sachets per day) and this is actually had a dramatic effect on my symptoms within a week. I shall mention the above to my doctor, and keep you all updated as to how things go. Once again thanks for all your comments, replies and suggestions