Gastroenterology Community
Constant runs after colostomy reversal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Constant runs after colostomy reversal

Having had a colostomy reversal in October 2007,after 2 years with the bag, it would seem my bowel thinks it should make up for 2 years of none function by leading me to the toilet 8 to 10 times a day.My surgeon signed me off from his clinic, saying he had done his bit, the rest was up to nature. Is this a normal state of affairs, and any suggestions as to aids to prevention? Originally, I had a non malignant blockage, which was removed,along with a section of intestine, with further complications I ended up with an eleostomy for 6 weeks as well as the colostomy which failed to function as it should. Medically now fit and back to strength, just the Diarrhea to try and resolve.
Tags: diarrhea

Please read my reply to the posting immediately above yours - maybe my comments to this patient could be of some relevance to you??

In addition try to avoid anal soreness by making the last toilet paper wipe with toliet paper dampened with soapy water.  While you are away from home take mild baby wipes with you.

Good luck
Morecambe
Thanks for reply, wil ltake note and try for a while and see if any improvement, heres hoping.         451671581
Have you happened to find any relieve to this problem?  My boyfriend just had a colostomy reversal at the end of December and is pretty much home bound at this point due to the constant (10-25) bathroom runs.  Cramping pain aside, he's just miserable (who wouldn't be) and now the depression is starting to hit.  All he wanted was the bag gone, and at this point we both feel the bag might be a better quality of life.  I am at a lose for any positive reinforcement.  Anything you can suggest that has worked for you in the past?
Any information or suggestions are welcome at this point.
JMa
my mom had to have her colon removed last year, has been living with a bag, and hates it.  the doctors say that she can have a reversal.   she is very worried that it may be worse than where she is at now,  we have heard a lot of different things,  will she be stuck in a diaper forever,  how do you know which is worse?  someone please give me some feedback.

lost for answers...........kim