Gastroenterology Community
Constant stomach pain for months

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Constant stomach pain for months

I have had stomach pain/problems for 8 years now.  It comes and goes.  At times it gets so bad it hurts all the time and I loose 10 - 20 lb.  This time the pain has been from.... June 2006 till now, with about 6, 5 day stretches of relief. I have gone from 126 to  116 in the past 2 months.  
It does depend what I eat - sometimes.  If ate spagetti, coffee, sweets, any raw vegetable, more than a small bite of meat, I would have to go on the brat diet for a week or more before the pain lets up.
My last endoscopy was may 2006 -in-active gastritis,and redness around the hiatal hernia area.

I have tried DGL, slippery elm, gentle digestive enzymes, L- glutamine and some stomcah formulas. It is very tender to the touch under the breastbone.Maybe food gets caught up there and rots?
Right now it feels like i have been punched in the stomach.
I never feel "hunger".  Only pain.
I take dandelion and ginger for digestion.I am on 20 mg of nexuim.  When I take a full dose of it, my digestion slows to the point that I never hear my stomach churn, and the food sits there until i get a putrid nausea feeling on top of the pain.
They wont do another endoscopy yet.  They want to do a 24 hour ph test. I already tried that 3 years ago and I couldnt tollerate that thing in my throat- so forget that.

My liver and pancreas enzymes are very good.  My gall bladder is out already ( 5 years ago ).
I go BM each morning.

Thanks for any ideas.
ellie
I don't blame you a bit for turning down the 24-hour ph test.  YUK!  I also don't see the need for another endoscopy.  Have you had a gastric emptying study yet?  Since you complain that food feels like it just "sits there" and doesn't move through, it could just be a motility problem.
So this cant turn into cancer in one year?
Constant erosion can lead to Barrett's Esophagus, which is considered a precursor to cancer, but I've not read anything that says it happens within one year.  It may not get that far in some people.

It's important to discuss your symptoms with your doctor.  It may be something as easy as adjusting your meds.

As an example, I was given Nexium when Prilosec and Protonix did not work.  My stomach felt like it was shredding every time I took that pill.  Adjusting my medication to Aciphex and Zegerid stopped the shredding feeling, though I still get nausea and discomfort under my ribcage quite frequently.  I also have Hyoscyamine for when the pain is particularly nasty.  

I agree with Jaybay about the motility study, and would suggest you discuss this with your doctor.  You may not be exerting enough pressure to move your food along.