Gastroenterology Community
EXTREMELY high Lipase and Amylase levels???

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a 20 y/o otherwise healthy female. I have been experiencing diarrhea almost every other day for a few months (with an awful cramping and pain in my lower abdomin (abdomen)) and have been essentially living off immodium. I went to my doctor and they did some blood tests and found high level of Lipas (1660) and Amylase (2045). She said something is wrong with my pancreas and I went back in for the cystic fibrosis gene test and a lipids test today and I have a CT scan scheduled for Friday. I dont drink and my liver, thyroid,electrolytes,blood sugar, kidney and blood cell counts were all normal. Anyone have any idea what this could be?
Your situation sounds very similar  . . .  I anxiously wait on board responses ....
I came here looking for info and help for my 18 yo son.  He has had bloody diarrhea for about 6 weeks and colonoscopy last Monday confirmed uclerative colitus throughout large and into the small intestine.  Dr. ordered Lipase test to get a baseline because one of the meds he may use sometimes can trigger pancreatitus (pancreatitis).  Test came back -- they were expecting level at 230 but came in at 1126.  Retested today to rule out a bad test -- came in at 1140.   He's doing an MRI now and we should get some answers later tonight.  His Dr. said it is very unusual to have Lipase level that high without having debilitating pain and vomiting.  He has some soreness achiness but nothing severe and no vomiting.    
I also experenced vomiting, dibilitating upper abdominal pain, high levels of amalase and lipase levels but had a normal looking pancreas. has anyone else had this happen?
You are a healthy young  adult and most people your age will not have high amylase and lipsase levels .  These high levels indicate problems with your pancreas or pancreatitis.  The symptoms you are having are all symptoms of a pancreas issue.   I am suprised she did not admit you to the hospital with high levels.  Eat a very lowfat diet with no smoking or alcohol .  These things aggrevate your pancreas.

Pancreatitis in a young adult is not very common so they are looking into what is causing it.  

A lot of times pancreatitis is caused by  drinking excessively for a long time.  Since you probably do not fit that criteria they have to see what is causing it.

The second thing that can cause pancreatitis is gallstones.  Usually gallbladder issues do not start appearing until middle age so they are probably going to test for this as well but they probably do not expect this to be the problem.  They can perform an ultrasound or CT scan to look for gallstones.  The CT can also show other things such as tumor, hereditary pancreas disorders etc that could be causing it.

Third  cause of pancreatits is hereditary.  The first episode of pancreatits usually will show up by the twenties. You can have genetic testing done for this and that is probably one of the tests they are going to give you.   Ask you Dr if they will test you for this and if not get it done so you can start managing this if you have it. Hereditary pancreatitis usually will have some acute episodes and will progress into chronic pancreatitis.  They can give you enzymes to help digest food if this is what you have.

Other reasons for pancreatitis are high fats ( hyperlipidemia)  in the blood and high calcium in the blood ( hypercalcemia).  You should get blood tests checking for this and if this is found they can start you on medicines and a diet  to help this disease.  I think you mentioned they were checking your lipids

There is also a link between cystic fibrosis and pancreatits so that is why they are testing you for that.  This is another disease that often leads to chronic pancreatitis after a while and will show up earlier in life.  

I hope they can find your problem quickly and  you get feeling better.
I've been going through the same thing. My lipase level came back as 900 and I've been sicker than a dog. I've lost over 90 lbs (which now I am at 80 lbs) was overweight due to meds that I was taking. I throw up bail everyday, or whenever I eat, I have bad back pain with it, my stomach hurts severely on daily bases. I've gone through this once before as well- went away for about year and now it's back. My doctor order more test. Which he said "if it comes back just as high- you're going to be sent to the hospital" my question is. What do they do for the test? Seeing I've have had a CT, the blood work, what else would they do?