Gastroenterology Community
Elevated Lipase

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Elevated Lipase

I have had mildly elevated lipase (amylase always normal) for 9 months.  At times I have stomach pains and always have bloating.  I have had a colonoscopy, abdominal CT scan, ultra-sound within the past 2 months and all were normal.  I have seen a specialist (gastroenterologist) and he said he is not concerned unless the blood levels are 2 - 3 times higher than normal (only about 50 - 70 points higher now).  I also have a mildly elevate AST for the past 4 years and tests have not shown a cause.  I do not drink or smoke.  I am otherwise a healthy 42 yr woman.  What would you do if you were me?  Thanks
Snoopy:
I recently was diagnosed with elevated Lipase levels too.  My Amylace levels were at the high end of normal.  My doctor thinks I have chronic pancreatitis.  I had some problems with my gallbladder a couple years ago and a gallstone was stuck in the pancreatic duct and so I had full blown Acute Pancreatitis.  I was told that gallstones can move around in the abdominal cavity for years after.  Anyway, I'm being treated for pancreatitis right now.  I also have the abdominal pain and it was gettng pretty bad.  My doctor placed me on a liquid diet of chicken broth and water to see if the pancreas would settle down and it has.  So, there's a specialist working with me right now to make sure there's nothing wrong with the pancreas.  I should be having a test pretty soon.  So, maybe try changing your diet.  I was told to add chlorophil to my water a couple times a day as it helps the pancreas and to eat a low-fat, higher carb diet - low sugar.  They say to eat mostly green veggies and for carbs things like yams - no simple carbs which contain too much sugar.  The bloating is another sign the pancreas is having problems.  You should ask your doctor to do a test I think it's like an endoscope only they go throught the stomach into the duct area to make sure there's nothing going on in there.  

Good luck!!!!
Snoopy,

I too have lipase elevated.... Although, all my tests were negative, my doc suspects that it could be my GB....or SOD..... Well, I am at the point to have my second HIDA scan done (the last one did not show anything).
I've heard that lipase can be elevated due to:
celiace sprue;
IBS
GB problems...
Well, SOD can cause it too....
Also, the bloating is not the only sign of "pancreas problem" - it could be a number of factors, including IBS...
Anyways, if any of you will find out WHY - let me know. Very appreciated!
My Lipase levels have been very high and my amylase levels have been moderately elevated for the past year. I had some minor pain in my upper abdomen and back, really bad heartburn and terrible bloating as well. Some days are worse than others and i'm sooooo sick of it!! I have had my gallbladder out, was in the hospital for a while for pancreatitis, Cat Scans, Ultra sounds, MRCP's, a colonoscopy, stomach empyting study----everything came back NORMALLL. i'm going for a pancreatic function test later this month to test for chronic pancreatitis. Please write back if they ever figure out what's wrong. Good luck & feel better :(
I am a 33 year old woman and i am having the exact same. Problems. Ad u were. Did u ever fond an an answer?
If your gallbladder has been removed this could be consistent with sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. A gastroenterologist with biliary expertise should be able to sort this out.