Gastroenterology Community
Eroded stomach and bowel problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Eroded stomach and bowel problems

About a year ago I started getting really bad stomach pains. It started out just happening when I ate to always being there. I thought it might have been my gall bladder because I had all the symptoms so I cut out acidy/greasy foods but it didnt help. After the doctor ran the test on my gall bladder, it did show that it was abnormal and they took it out. After about a week the pain came back but even worse. From there I have went to a gastroenterology doctor and the did an endoscopy. The doctor said that my esophagas and stomach are eroding away, but the biopsies were normal. He told me that it was just ibs and that i should just change my diet and it will go away. No matter what I eat, if its bland or not causes stomach pain. I have also discovered that anything dairy causes my bowels to act up real bad. I dont know what to do.
What specifically do you mean when you say the doc said you had stomach erosion but the biopsies were normal? If you have erosion, the biopsies would show some form of gastritis or other indications of dysfunction. Did you get copies of the reports and read them? If not, I'd suggest you do so.

If you were told you have problems in the stomach and esophagus, you should have been put on some form of protein pumps inhibitors - if the doc thought the problem was due to acid - and you should also have been told about diet change. Lifestyle changes should also have been suggested. Overall, you probably should have been told you had GERD - again, if the problem was due to acid. But stomach and esophagus issues can also be due to bile reflux, so your doc needs to be questioned about what the cause of the erosion is.

Many people have problems with dairy. It can be due to an sensitivity to the lactose in the diary, an autoimmune problem with the casein in the dairy, or an inability to process the diary because of the fat content. If you're having problems with dairy discontinue it.
Ive been on a bland diet since I started with the stomach problems and it doesnt help much. He put me on nexium but it doesnt work, but acid reducers help alittle. He wont look at anythign else. He just told me it was probably IBS and that diet change would be the only thing to fix it but it hasnt.
Perry, something doesn't make sense. If you've got erosion in the stomach and esophagus, you DON'T have IBS. It sounds like your doc isn't that concerned. You may want to consider getting a second opinion, because it doesn't sound like you're going to get a lot of help from this doc. Check the dietary options for GERD at gicare.com.