Exhaustion, Fatigue, Brain Fog After Eating
I was recently diagnosed with Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (SOD), which I have suffered from for the past 14 years. For 13 years I only suffered from the signature SOD right upper quadrant pain. A year ago, things took a turn for the worst. I couldn't eat, had severe around-the-clock nausea, some vomiting, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain spread beyond the usual SOD ruq pain (later determined to be pancreatic pain). It got so bad I was so malnourished I was fainting and dizzy all the time and was down to 93 pounds (I am 5'4" and usually 130 pounds). Eventually, I had to be tube fed through my small intestine to bypass the duodenum. Anyhow, long story short, I just had major surgery 5 weeks ago--a laparatomy, transduodenal sphincteroplasty, and dilation of my pylorus. All along, for the past year, I have gotten very exhausted and fatigued after I eat--no more what I eat--but mainly complex carbs, proteins, and fats. I think the surgery has helped, but I still get so exhausted when I eat. I take Creon which eliminates my pancreatic pain (though all my tests show a healthy normal functioning pancreas). I am just wondering if because my SOD went undiagnosed and untreated for so long that my pancreas and liver are exhausted? My liver looks ok on scans except for a few small cysts and slight cirrhosis--nothing that concerned my doctor. Any advice on how to get my pancreas and liver back in shape and eliminate this awful fatigue? Will I ever be able to eat w/o fatigue???
Not sure if this might be applicable, but what you're feeling - exhaustion and brain fog - are well-known to those with gluten (wheat, rye and barley) issues. You may want to consider getting it checked out. Alternatively, you could try an exclusion diet for a couple of weeks to see if the symptoms subside a bit.
Thanks CalGal. I have been gluten free since last October when I found out I had the Celiac genetic marker. I tested negative for Celiac from my bloodwork and endoscopy biopsy. However, just to be sure, I made the decision to remove gluten, dairy, and soy from my diet. It hasn't really helped as my physical problems go way beyond food allergies. I will say that when "I cheat" and try to eat dairy or soy, I pay the price with congestion, worse brain fog, and nausea.