Gastroenterology Community
Fundoplication Slip

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Fundoplication Slip

In November 2005 I had Nissen performed and everything went well.  I have been symptom free for a while until last year, then the heartburn and reflux slowly started creeping in.  Things came to a head in December when I vomitted and again in January.  I had an endoscopy performed and the GI doctor saw where the wrap had slipped and a hiatus hernia had developed.  I know these types of hernias are common.  After having a HIDA scan and a RUQ ultrasound performed, everything came back clean on the gallbladder.  He referred me to the surgeon that performed the original Nissen and I went to him today (with pictures from the endoscopy showing where the wrap slipped).  After being in my room for approximately 2 minutes, the surgeon left the room spouting off that he wanted an Upper GI performed and left me even more confused than when I arrived.  If the HIDA scan and the RUQ ultrasound ruled out the gallbladder, and the endoscopy showed the fundoplication slip, then why am I having to have more tests done?  If I'm not supposed to be vomitting, regurgitating, and having heartburn, then wouldn't the obvious answer be that the wrap has slipped (especially if a camera placed down my throat inside of my stomach showed the slip)?  I am so irritated because these are the same exact symptoms that I had prior to the surgery, the endoscopy has shown where the wrap has slipped, and yet I am still having to have more test done...WHY???
If any one had a slipped fundoplation please let me know what they did to repair it for you. Thank you dee