Gastroenterology Community
Help! Side effects after Nissen Fundiplication Surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had Nissen Fund. surgery a month ago and although normally people are able to return to a regular diet after a few weeks, I am still having trouble with a lot of foods including bread, anything with sauces (tomato, BBQ, gravy, etc) so that pretty much leaves me with pasta or really soft veggies like mashed potatoes.  I am trying to slowly add things to my diet which in some ways has been successful and unsuccessful.  Since starting to add foods I have had constant stomach pains and constipation.  My doc had me do a swallow test and they did an Xray type of thing to make sure that my stomach is working properly and everything looks normal.  Do these symptoms go away over time?  Why is it taking so long for me to get used to eating again?   Will I always have IBS type of symptoms?   Thanks

This discussion is related to Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication Side Effects.
I had Nissen Fundoplication 4 months ago. I had no choice since gastric acid was aspirating into my lungs causing inability to take in oxygen. I never experienced indigestion or any of the typical symptoms caused by GERD. My diagnosis was atypical reflux disease.

Yesterday had an endoscopy to check esophagus and wrap to ensure everything was in order due to severe pain swallowing food or drink. A yeast infection was seen (caused by overuse of antibiotics) that can cause such pain. Once biopsy is back from the lab, the appropriate medication will be prescribed.

The second more annoying problem is never ending diarreah (diarrhea). My gastroenterologist stated this condition can happen. Yesterday, he performed a sigmoidoscopy to check environment in colon. Hopefully, biopsy will report what's causing this unacceptable situation. Seldom can leave my home since there's virtually no obvious warning when diarreah (diarrhea) is going to hit.

No matter what was described above, the surgery was a great success since I can breathe. It took more than three years to determine exactly why breathing was so difficult. However, I'd never have this surgery for GERD. It is a life-changing procedure.

I agree.  I had Lap Nissen Fundopication surgery in 2008 due to 3 hospitalized bouts of pneumonia as I was apparently asperating into my lungs due to gerd.  They told me if they did not find the root cause I would be on an iron lung in a short time.  So ofcourse I had the surgery. It took a year for me to be able to eat "normally" - I could not swallow water easily - only small sips or it just all backed up - took about 6 months for this to resolve. I still can only eat small regular meals. Took 6 months before I could burp or lie on my right side.  Found out the hard way that drinking carbonated drinks is off my diet plan for ever - don't under any circumstances drink a carbonated drink before boarding a flight!! (gas expands at altitude) No one really understands the pain associated with inability to burp and the build up of gases in the digestive tract as a consequence- the rest of the world just takes it for granted. To those dealing with this post operatively and in pain - Don't eat gas producuing foods and make sure you have a huge supply of GasEx.  Passing gas will be your new friend - though others may not :)  I had food poisoning this year and although I did manage to finally throw up I had to do so upright (a very bad experience although I was greatful that I was able to do so at all).  I am still on gerd drugs although less dosage. When the pain is really bad the only thing I can do is lie down and let nature take its course.   I have not had pneumonia since so I am lucky and very thankful, but I would not consider this for gerd unless it is causing serious complications.