Gastroenterology Community
How do u get rid of C-Diff??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

How do u get rid of C-Diff??

I have had C-Diff for close to a year, have taken the H-pac, and am on 3 dose of metronidazole, that is not working either, i was told by my doctor that i most likely got it, at a restaurant where the person who prepared my food did not wash their hands after  going to the bathroom...

I am scared because i have read that it can lead to death if not cured...
What else can i do to cure this nasty disease

Thanks,
Scaredhasc-diff

Try going to www.cdiffdiscuss.org/phpBB3 and talking to people who are dealing with this issues. There are some wonderful resources at that site.
I've had C. Diff, too, and my Mother had it for 9 months. It's awful.

I would ask your doctor to put you on Vancomycin, instead of or in addition to Metronidazole (Flagyl.) Studies show there are new forms of C.Diff. bacteria that don't respond to just Flagyl alone. The medication they finally put my Mom on because she had a resistant form of C.Diff. was Rifaximin, because the Vancomycin and Flagyl combo didn't/couldn't get rid of her infection. She was on a set (higher) dose of Rifaximin and then they tapered it down gradually over the course of two or three months, if I remember correctly. (She saw an infectious disease specialist and a gastroenterologist that specializes in C.Diff.)

Are you taking 2 Florastor pills and at least one probiotic pill each day? Are you eating yogurt with "live and active cultures" 1-3x every day? Have you tried drinking kefir drink every day? These things help get back the balance of good bacteria in your system.

Also, remember that the Clostridium Difficile bacteria make spores--so you need to wash underwear in a bleach solution and sanitize toilets with a 1part bleach, 10 parts water solution to kill the spores.

Good luck and please keep us posted as to how you're doing.

---Yvette
Maybe grapefruit seed extract + other C. Diff antibiotics. As far as I know, grapefruit seed extract doesn't interact with medications like grapefruit juice dose (but check for interactions). It can be obtained from a health food store or online.

You can take florastor several times a day and VSL#3 (your pharmacist should be able to order both of them). VSL#3 is a potent probiotic with 450 billion organisms per packet. You can also purchase VSL#3 online.

You could mix the packet with an *unsweetened* Kefir from a natural foods store or possibly your local market. It still contains a little bit of sugar.

Avoid yeast, sugar, and fruit to your best ability.

Good luck.
Thank you for all the information.. Yes im taking Florastor, Probiotic pill would i get that at a health food store..Yes  i have  increased my intake of Yogurt to, Kelfir would i get that at the health food store too.

Kday why avoid fruits, i didnt know about the avoiding of the sugar or yeast either, i will start today, and see if that helps...

Again Thank you, i spent most of my day crying yesterday, Before i left for work i checked this website, and your response gave me hope, i was told that there are not many meds  out there for this disease...

These pills make me sick, do you no of what i can drink to get the nasty taste out of your mouth, it taste like metal i tried mouthwash put that only works for about 10 mins then we are back to the nasty taste again..

I also have a sharp pain on my right side, going for tests today, to see if its caused by the bad bacteria or if its the appx..

I also have phelm in my throat 24/7 that  does not go away, i got it around the same time i got this disease....

Scared

The probiotic pills you can get at a health food store and in some pharmacies, too. There are many different kinds of probiotic pills. I would look for one that has a couple of different kinds of good bacteria in it--For example, a brand like "Floragen 3" (not regular/standard Floragen...Many pharmacies that don't have it in stock are able to special order Floragen 3 for you; here they do that without a fee), Nature's Way Primadophilus Optima, Nature's Way Reuteri, or "Jarro-Dophilus and FOS by Jarrow Formulas."

About the kefir--a health food store often will carry; some groceries (regular and specialty/gourmet type markets) carry it here like Sentry Foods, Woodman's, some Pick 'N Save stores, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.

On the bad taste in your mouth--have you tried swishing tea tree oil mixed with water? Just make sure you do not swallow this mixture. It has a funky taste in and of itself, but once you rinse it out of your mouth, it can take other strange tastes away. Or also, try chewing and swallowing fresh parsley leaves from the grocery store. (Make sure to wash well before eating these.)

Keep us posted....

---Yvette

Thank you!!!!

Scared
I was diagnosed with C-diff 1 wk ago!  You can read my post I made today about it so I don't go into detail here.
My MD has me on Vanco oral 250mg 3 times a day for one month.  I feel a lot better today (no diarrhea today).  He also told me to take Lactinex 2 tabs twice daily to get my gut bacteria back to good bacteria.  I'm also not supposed to have dairy products for 2 weeks.  Not sure why...something to do with the diarrhea I think.
Anyway, just wanted you to know you aren't alone with the C-diff!
Take care!
Thank you!!!

I hope you feel better too...!!!!

take care
I was in the hospital for a week for lung problems. Husband in Ocala He was sick , his daughters and all their kids .
He comes home now spend 12 hours on toilet wit tv tray and pillow.
Now back in hospital with dehydration and diarrhea Dr says C Diff
Lost 20 pounds which is OK but hard way to do it
Will see DR. on Monday But still no better after getting out the day before Thanksgiving which I sleep through
Can' leave house without extra cloths. Is there hope?
Janet Jones
I realize I've joined this discussion about 2 years late but I just found it in a search.  For what it's worth I would like to let you know what I believe worked for my wife.  At the time I posted a running commentary here, http://www.****.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5668
Short form: Oral EDTA worked to end the disease for her, it stopped the diarrhea overnight.  Damage to the colon is not done by the bacteria but by the toxins they produce.  The toxins infiltrate gut wall cells and destroy them, for the purpose of providing food for the bacteria, which eat the cell contents.  The toxins need the presence of any one of various heavy metal divalent cations, manganese and magnesium being the strongest potentiators of the toxins.  EDTA binds these ions and a sufficient dose will prevent any from being available to the toxins.  In a couple of weeks the bacteria starve to death.  We found the effective dose for my wife to be 500mg every 12 hours.  EDTA (calcium disodium EDTA is the preferable compound) is available in many health food stores.  It should be taken for several months while normal gut bacteria repopulate the colon.  You will know this is happening when the stool starts returning to normal form and odor.  I hope others may find this information useful.

--Hua Kul  
and how is your wife today HuaKul?

I have had C diff for the last 9 months with 5 rounds of oral vancomycin, had the scope in oct after re testing neg, found nothing, I have 20 BM a day if I go off my Steroids, The specialist has no clue as to what is wrong. I think it's the C Diff, it hides. I have tried all natural things, nothing is helping.. I came across your post, I am heading to the store to see if they carry this (Source Naturals, EDTA, Heavy Metal Detoxification, 240 Capsules), I notices your post back in 08 as well, I know i'm a few years late, would love to hear your wife is healthy! Take Care Petra
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers