Gastroenterology Community
How long can I safely take Protonix for heartburn?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had heartburn and stomach problems for over 30 years. I'm 67 yrs.old and have tried all the different perscription medications. I have been taking protonix for about 5 years now and I'm concerned about long term use of protonix and all the other heartburn medications I have been taking for 30 years. I still suffer from heartburn daily. I have had 4 Endoscopy's done at different times and my Dr. say's it does show some inflammation but no Barrett's Desease, thank God. I have nausea at times, bloated and abdominal pain and don't feel well most of the time.I vomited once about 6 months ago and just yesturday vomited again. I also have heart palputations for years and had all the cardiac test done that say my heart is alright. I can't do without the medication but wonder if the long time use of Protonix is damaging me in other ways. Could it be causing my heart palputations?
How long is too long for this medication.?

Thank you

Tags: Protonix
hi, in reality these brands of ant-acid medications should only be used for six months or so, thats enough time to heal the gut, unfortunately our diets are the main reason for the continued use of these medications. there has been numerous studies concerned with long term use and side-effects, but no concrete evidence of damage to the rest of the body, look up sherry brescia on the net, shes got some very useful diets which have cured gerd disease in many people, its all free, cheers.
Thank you for getting back to me on my question. I will look up Sherry Brescia on the net as you suggested and hope it will help.

Thank you,
Mama67
I took protonix for a long time and got the same palpitations.  My research uncovered that pump inhibitors like protonx cause a magnesium deficiency and magnesium is necessary to regulate your heartbeat.  I stopped taking the pills cause it said that prolonged magnesium deficiency can cause serious heart problems.  Since then I take Zantac, it does next to nothing even though I take 4 maximum strengths a day, and I pop tums all day, but the heart palpitations have gone away.  Not really sure what my next move is going to be.  Maybe after 6 months of this I can go back to the protonx for a while.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers