Gastroenterology Community
How long until I get better?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

How long until I get better?

Hi, I'm 14 years old and for about 4 months now, I've been experiencing problems with my stomach. I'm not over weight and I'm active. My first symptoms were feeling full in my stomach 24/7 even if I hadn't eaten anything for days. My father is a doctor and he thought I was constipated so he gave me some sort of cream to make me go to the loo. It relieved the fullness feeling in my stomach for a little while and allowed me to eat a bit. After a while, the symptoms persisted but I didn't take any action. My symptoms got worse a couple of months later and I had had enough. My stomach was continously gurgling and I was hardly eating anything because I was always feeling full. My dad examined me and wondered whether I had H. Pylori. No action was taken for a couple of months until I had really given up. Two weeks ago my dad treated me for H. Pylori without me having a test to confirm it. I was put on Nexium 40mg 3 times a day for the first couple of days but reduced the dosage down to 2 times a day for the rest of the week. I was also put on Amoxil 500mg and Klacid 500mg twice a day. After the first day of the treatment, My throat, chest and stomach felt very tight and I hyperventilated. My dad said that I had esophageal spasm and told me to relax. I was very scared because I thought I was going to choke. Later on that day I was feeling nauseas and my upper stomach felt like there was knives going through it. Dad gave me a Maxolon and Buscopan injection to relieve this. It helped but I wasn't eating, even though I was meant to have the tablets after food. Dad reduced the Nexium dose to twice a day and it relieved my nausea a bit and I began to eat. After I ate, I belched a lot and it relieved my upper stomach pain for a while, but then came back about an hour or so after I ate. Also during this treatment, I had dizzy spells, headaches and a weird body temperature feeling. My head was extremely hot and my body was cold but there was no fever. I was having pain killers for my headaches and an asthma puffa for my tight chest feeling which relieved it a bit. I've been constipated for a while now but it has got worse in the passed four months. After the one week treatment for H. Pylori, dad has kept me on Nexium 40mg once a day because he thinks I might have an ulcer. He has also put me on a constipation liquid that I have 15mg of once a day. I am eating normally now but my lower stomach occasionally gurgles and I still have a burning feeling in my upper stomach that goes after I eat but comes back an hour after. I also belch a lot still after I eat. I went to a gastrourologist earlier this week and he said that my upper stomach issues could be caused from stress. I suffer from Emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and this has been a big problem for me for about 7 years. I am always worried about people if they are sick, I'm worried about food being under cooked, I'm worried about myself vomiting and if someone happens to vomit in my presence, I start to shake, worry and cry and I want to get away from them ASAP. The gastrourologist suggested that I should see a psychiatrist first and if my symptoms persist, then they will start looking into an Endoscopy and a Celiac disease test. I have seen 3 psychiatrists before about my phobia but I sacked them all because they didn't seem to be helping me. I'm going to start seeing another one soon and hopefully he helps me. The gastrourologist said that my constipation could be due to lack of vegetables and fruit in my diet. I am going to increase the amount of fruit and vegetables in my diet and hopefully that will help. I was wondering how long until my stomach will be completely better? I've had enough of this now. I've lost a lot of weight, I'm very lethargic, I've hardly been sleeping and my stomach pains and the tightness of my chest and throat discomfort me. Any help would be great thank you! :) Thank you for reading my ridiculously long and boring story!
Hi ,
You need to see a gastroenteroligist, get endoscopy done for any serious damage and need to take medication for long duration to get cured. This may be take 1-2 years, however if you take medication regularly it will be cured. You can take a daily does of fibre ( isabgol) and salads to avoid constipated. Also try out some yoga.

Dear Lil,
I think a simple approach will help you.  I think you've been getting constipated, is all.  Waste builds up in your guts, and every time you eat, it ain't got nowhere to go, so acid boils up and thus your symptoms.  Therefore, the standard advice for constipation is regular exercise, drink extra water, and add fiber to your diet.  Fiber can include not only fresh vegies and fruit, but also stuff like oat cereal, 100 percent whole wheat bread, and dark green salads.

For your current symptoms, if waste has not been coming out in the last few days, but you know it's right there, go to the pharmacy and get "Baby Lax" in a small box, it has tubes of ointment, squirt two in there and the waste will come out within minutes, repeat as necessary.  If you are currently passing waste at a good clip, no need for the Baby Lax.  For the gurgling in your tummy, an ordinary Alka Seltzer will stop that.  Take them anytime you get stomach symptoms.

As for your emotional upset, you are at exactly the right age where young women cry and get stressed out and in general lose it.  That will go away when you reach the age of 15.  But in the end, grown women in general are quite emotional compared to men.  I did notice you are very good at expressing yourself, you are detail oriented, you have a good memory.  So, talk to the school counselor and ask her to suggest some studies you might consider getting into and some careers you might imagine for college studies, based on your high degree of intelligence.  Also, it's time you began learning a hobby, like taking lessons for guitar, learning how to draw and paint, or perhaps even something more physical like dance or horseback riding.  

I think if you try some of the stuff I'm telling you, you will feel worlds better within just a month.  My thoughts are from my own experiences and digestive issues, and after all, irregularity is part of the "human condition," and usually can be resolved by healthy lifestyle choices.  I'm not condemning your recent treatments for all this, rather suggesting an alternative.  Hope this helps.  
GG
I would hope the gastroenterologist tested you for an ulcer or colitis, otherwise see a different one.   Your father gives you a ton of meds for your age, without knowing what the problem is.  Also, seeing a therapist and maybe taking anti stress drugs would be essential, you have alot of worries for your age.  But first, rule out physical causes.

I have the stomach gurgling and burning, I think mine may be an ulcer.  I don't have a stressful bone in my body, but it kicks up when I take my celebrex and goes away when I go off of it.  I've been on many strong meds, and have gerd, so ulcer is possible, I think.
My daughter has similar symptoms.She is 13+.It started 2 months ago in the school when she came home with a tummy bugs.Started vomiting and loose bowel movement (2-3 times a day). It subsided but since then she is still vomiting if she eats a little more than usual.Has gurgling stomach and burps after eating dinner. She feels nausea and full. Ha sbeen a picky eater int he past but it has not been so bad.Can someone help or tell me because i am wondering if it is because of teenage age or some gastro problem
Hi i no your post was from last year but i have all the symptons you was having burning stomach, bloatness not sleeping anxiety etc... and am also emetophobia am just wondering if you get this message have you cured your burning belly pains did you find out what it was etc... x x
Hi guys, I know it has been an extremely long time but thank you for all your posts! I am now sixteen and I am a healthy girl. I have no more stomach pains anymore. Turns out I was suffering from anxiety after my parents broke up. I am used to the situation now and I am less stressed. The only thing is, I still suffer from emetophobia. It has improved heaps though! Every now and then I get stomach pains due to constipation. This has always been a problem for me but I find whenever I eat an apple, it really relieves the constipation!! It was a combination of things, dietary related and anxiety. I hope whoever else was suffering from these symptoms is feeling better now. Thank you very much once again guys!