Gastroenterology Community
Infant with Stomach Problem

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Infant with Stomach Problem

At 3 & 1/2 weeks, my son started projectile vomiting 1-2 times daily usually after meals.  After 8 days of this, he began to have watery stools (9-10 daily).  Then, he began to pass large amounts of mucous in his stools.  Formula was changed 4 times and we ended up on Nutramigen.  He then quit eating for long periods through out the day.  He was fussy to the point of unbearable.  Passing large amounts of gas, had stomach distention, and was appearing to be jaundiced.  He was hospitalized for 8 days and during this time began running a low-grade temp after feedings (99.4 - 100.6). However, he began to eat again and was having no vomiting, but continued with mucousy diarrhea, stomach distention, gas, foul-smelling stool, and fussiness.  An upper GI, a kidney/bowel sonogram, all appropriate lab work and numerous urine/stool cultures were performed.  All were within normal range.  He was placed on IV fluids for dehydration and ampicillin iv twice daily.  He was also changed to Pregestamil and immediately began to vomit again and stools were more often.  The doctor gave us enough diagnosis in the 8 days but never definitively knew what was wrong.  Just stated he was too young for further testing.  We were discharged with the child (now 4 & 1/2 weeks old) still running a temp after feedings and a recurrent issue of vomiting and frequent spit-up.  This baby vomits straight into the air while never waking up.  It's not unusual to find him in vomit each morning.  The only other thing that strikes me as weird is the red ring around his anus that will not go away with traditional diaper rash creames.  I need help.  Some say it's acid reflux while others say it's gastritis from formula changes (even though the problem started while on the same formula --nestle good start).  The doctor denies malabsorption issues, but put him on Pregestamil anyways.  Does anyone have any ideas.  We are trying to get him into a pedi-gastro soon, but the soonest appointment is 2 weeks and 350 miles away.
I don't know a lot about these things, but I do know my nephew @ 6 weeks of age was voimiting after every meal and fussy like you say your son is.  To make a long story short, the child was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis.  I know you have had your son checked for the upper GI problems, but could they have missed this one?  Perhaps a MRI would show it.  

Again, I don't know if this will help you, but it is something you could check out.
Dear Mom

It is terrible to see one's baby in such a state. It sounds like your son might have an allergic reaction to some of the ingredients in his formula. A red ring around the anus, reflux/vomiting, loose, watery stools, mucous/blood in stools, irritibility, restlessness etc. are some of the symptoms of food allergy. Search for a website that specializes in food allergies. Try Dr. Sear's.

Hope this helps.

Good luck